replacing my gas heater ignition module

Old 08-23-13, 04:53 PM
replacing my gas heater ignition module

We have a Teledyne Laars heater. The iginition module seems to have gone as the heater is not igniting. From what I understand we need to replace it with a Fenwal Catelog # 05-339011-003. I was told that it could be sustituted with a Honeywell s-86 ignition module. I have researched abit on line and can find very little on the fenwal part and with regards to the Honeywell part, I am very confused there seems to be many, many s-86 model#'s. Any advice?

Regards, Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-13, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

When you ask for specific advice like that on a particular product.... you need to leave a model number.

Also....I've found the ignition modules to be very reliable in the pool/spa heaters. Usually the problem comes down to a safety sensor/control or a corroded terminal on one of those devices or on the ignition module.

Old 08-23-13, 06:58 PM
It is a Laars Lite. It was from 1980 Model LLD. unfortunately I do not see any model# on the heater itself. Researching online, it could be LLD 125?

We have already had someone out and the iginition module needs to be replaced. Unfortunately not finding much on Fenwal, hence I am trying to determine what the exact substuitute Honeywell model# is before going out and buying something that make not work?

Old 08-23-13, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Looking at those ignition module prices eek

Certainly want to make sure it's actually bad. In the link below is the manual that should be for your unit based on what you think the model number is. There is a schematic diagram in it and if you notice you'll see pressure switch, two high limit switches, fusible link, etc. Any one of those components could keep the module from firing.

Sorry......just re-read your post. You've had someone out already. Let me check further on the ignition module.

Old 08-23-13, 07:16 PM
Thanks..Not sure where that link is? Anyway, yes, the key is trying to determine the Honeywell Ignition control product# I need for this heater so that I can shop around for it as although I know it is s-86 that seems like a prefix for many different models?

Old 08-23-13, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
I see the fenwal ignition module you specified. It's available. Does it look like the unit below ? LP fuel..... correct ?
Name:  bb.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  30.3 KB

Honeywell S-86 is basically a generic line name. There are many sub models of the S-86. I have found several Honeywell modules that may work but there are a lot of parameters to consider. As of yet I haven't found an exact match. I don't think there is cross reference chart to match Honeywell with your fenwal part.

Old 08-23-13, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Whats the price of that module????

1980 heater...like from the 80's????

I am sure the heat exchanger is shot and I would not waste a dime on that thing... If its a 125 k btu unit they are fairly cheap now in that size.......

I would replace the unit, but thats just my opinion..