Pool pump dying?

Old 08-29-13, 10:21 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool pump dying?

Our pool pump motor has been making some strange rattling sounds over the last few weeks, even though it's still working fine. I kept thinking that perhaps something was stuck in the impeller, but now I'm not so sure. Our local pool shop claims that the sound may well be a sign that the motor is dying - maybe the bearings inside it are going?

If we have to replace it we'll replace it, but I'd hate to think I'm changing something out when it could be just a minor fix. It's a Hayward 2hp motor by the way.

Also, if the motor does need replacing, is it an easy job to swap a new one in? I mean, it doesn't look like a big deal if all it takes is some basic electrical connections and some basic plumbing.

Old 09-22-13, 08:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just as a follow-up to help anyone else who may encounter the same trouble, I ended up disconnecting the motor and took it to a repair guy I fortuitously found nearby who specializes in well and pool pump motors. He confirmed what i suspected, that the motor was fine other than the fact that the bearings were shot. $75 later we had them fixed, with new seals, and the pump is now running fine. Beats paying $300 for a new 2hp motor!

Old 09-22-13, 09:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
You are a bit lucky. Motor repair shops are slowly disappearing as our culture moves more to the disposable mentality. There is a shop in my town but the owner is old and I don't see anyone following in his footsteps to take over. When he retires I think I'll be without a motor repair shop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: