green pool fix! too much foam???

Old 09-15-13, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
what color is the pool now?

Go ahead and chlorinate then... .. I found this... Basically this is what you want to di...

SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain • Pool School • Trouble Free Pool

You could dilute your test kit to get a rough reading... I tried that yrs ago and its not accurate IMO. You need distilled water..

How to Test High Pool Chlorine Levels Using Dilution | eHow

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-13, 05:57 AM
wow, Anyway, I have to try it.
this is my pool now.

Old 09-16-13, 06:42 AM
oh dear, i got the test kit at leslie's today.
new problem, it's only show at 5. am i bought the wrong thing?

update: the taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine test is on its way now.

Last edited by garymala; 09-16-13 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 01:25 PM
I just received "FAS-DPD Chlorine test kit" this morning. I can not wait and want to get started quickly
but the work and time does not allow. This Sunday I will start it? I will post the test results before I start. have a nice day guys!

Old 09-18-13, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Let us know........................

Old 09-20-13, 06:39 AM
free day coming...
I have a question. What is the best time to slam the pool.
sunset or morning? I will be free from Saturday afternoon until Monday.

Old 09-21-13, 06:49 AM
hey guys! why liquid chlorine here in my local pool store said it is 10.5% and it's cost me $6.75/ 5 gallons!!??? but why everyone said it's cost too much?

Old 09-21-13, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
10.5% and it's cost me $6.75/ 5 gallons!!???

Impossible.... That must be per gallon. And even that would be cheap. If it was that much for 5 gallons then geez you could buy it and resell it at a huge profit.

Here is one gallon for $14 bucks.

Amazon.com: HTH Liquid Chlorinator, GAL LIQUID CHLORINE: Home Improvement

Old 09-21-13, 05:31 PM
slammmm, this is my new result;
FC , CC, TC = 0
pH= 7.6
hardness = 180
alkalinity= 137
CYA = 30
i used the pool calculator and it tell me add 6gallons of 5.25% bleach. i'll add 8 now

Old 09-21-13, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
The Pool Calculator

For reference.

Yes now after you add the bleach check every few hours and make sure you keep the shock level above 12 ppm. That would be using the powder.

Keep the pump running 24/7 and vacuum bottom and brush the sides daily. After it clears you can go to an 8 or 10 hor pump schedule.

( Best to invest in a two speed pump. Run on low for say 16-18 hours will use way less electric then a one speen pump on hi for 8 hours. Constant circulation is better then just 8 hours. Think about it. You will have no water movement for 16 hours running a pump on hi for just 8 hours.)

Your pool should clear in a day or two...

When the pool clears and at night you set the pool to 12 ppm and if the chloring holds overnight and you stay around 12 ppm then you have killed all the stuff in the pool. Then you can drop to the maintanence level of 2-5 ppm.

Use the calc.

Your PH is good.

Your alk is good.

You CYA is good. If you use the chlorine taps, some of them have cya in them. If you continue to use the tablets and your CYA gets higher, which it will, then you need to raise your chlorine levels. And that costs money for a pool your size. Best to keep at 30 ppm and find tabs without CYA in it.

Follow this chart.

Chlorine / CYA Chart • Pool School • Trouble Free Pool

Your hardness does not mater in a vinyl lines pool. If you have a cement pool then you need to maintain a certain calcium level or the water will leach from the cement and deteriorate your pool. That will be costly. Most cement pools are gunite skim coated I believe.

Other then that let us know and take pics as you go along.

Oh lastly a pool of your size as I sated would benefit greatly from a salt water generator. The salt generator makes chlorine. Then after it eats the algea and turns into a chloromines the salt generator will turn it back into chlorine. You will not need to add anything but salt and the occasional shock of bleach to help the generator along. After all bleach is sodium hypochlorite so its salt based....

Good luck.

Old 09-22-13, 05:38 AM
my pool this morning:

last night the FC level is 13ppm and CC is 1ppm
this morning FC = 8ppm and CC = 1ppm
water clear little bit.
i just added 3 more gallons to keep FC above 12ppm

Old 09-22-13, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Great keep it going. Important to keep chlorine up at all times. Like I said you may need to check hourly.

You may want to keep it a tad higher like 15ppm.

Whats that foam???? That is not a worry but probably added stuff from the pool stores that you should not have.

Old 09-22-13, 09:12 AM
nothing, i just add bleach...

Old 09-22-13, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Great keep us posted............

Old 09-22-13, 10:51 AM
here now very sunny 90F, after 3 hours my FC lv from 12 to 1.5, OMG

Old 09-22-13, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
If your CYA is 30 then its not the sun eating the chlorine. Its what you have in the pool is eating it. Like I said you may need to check hourly. And becuase of you pool size it will take a lot of bleach.

Way cheaper then any other sanitizing methods.

Keep the levels up, the pool will be clean soon. If you keep letting it yo-yo you will not make headway. Most think that their efforts are not working but in fact its because most homeowners let it Yo-yo.

keep pump running 24/7 and backwash when needed.

If you see the psi going up and your back washing that means the filter is catching the dead algae and your making progress.

Old 09-22-13, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
And an example a salt system like this hayward for a 40 k pool would be around 1000 bucks.

But add up what you will spend on chlorine and other chemicals for the yr... You will see your payback will be short...

Swim Pure Plus Salt System: SwimPure Saltwater Pool System

Old 09-22-13, 03:03 PM
what's "yo-yo"? sorry my english not good.
i was change the sand in my filter last week, but psi always read high "20", a little down when i backwash.
and about salt system, money very tight now, i just moved to usa 1 year ago ( dad and mom still unemployed) so i'll think about it in future.
oh can we talk about price of liquid chlorine,
this is information about it:
Liquid Chlorine | Pinch A Penny Store
and this is what i have at home: 2.5 gallons of 10.5%

receipt: $3.49/each

Old 09-22-13, 03:28 PM
FC lv better in afternoon,
at 5pm FC= 7.5ppm -> added 4 gallons 5.25% bleach
at 6:30pm FC = 16ppm -> nothing to do yay

and one more question:
will the CYA drop naturally? if it is, how long it'll keep in my pool? because the stabilizer in store cost too much.

Last edited by garymala; 09-22-13 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
what's "yo-yo"? sorry my english not good.
A yo-yo goes up and down. As in chlorine levels....12ppm then 1 ppm...12 ppm then 5 ppm... = yo - yo... Try to keep it 12 and above constantly.

will the CYA drop naturally?
It will never leave the pool ones in. The only way is through drain and refill or natuaral evaporation and refill with make up water.

If you have blazing sun on the pool 24/7 sometimes its best to raise the level to say 40 or higher. But you will need to add higher levels of chlorine. But the payback may be good because the sun causes loss of chlorine too.

Its a trial and error thing now. Work with what you have now at 30 ppm. If you notice loss of chlorine at a more dramatic rate after the pool is free of algae ( and no one is swimming in it) then its mostly caused buy the sun.

i was change the sand in my filter last week, but psi always read high "20", a little down when i backwash.
Thats not bad. Whats the max psi on the filter? 30 psi?

Lets go back to this pic and take a few more pics of the filter for me.

That other valve, why is it closed? Thats another return to the pool. You need to open that. You have two skimmers in the pool? You stated shallow and deep end right?... And you should have two jets that shoot water back to the pool. Aim these down somewhat and in the same direction to get a circular flow in the pool, and the stir up the bottom.

Open that second valve and psi should go down. Basckwash, then tell us the starting psi after backwash.

Old 09-22-13, 04:51 PM
quick reply:
7:50pm FC = 15ppm , CC= 0.5
la la la

Old 09-22-13, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
You have a chloronator there also. I dont like them and dont recommend them. They are only good for like if you go away. They are plauged by flow issues and cause staining and such..

Like I said trichlor tablets have stabilizer in it and will continually raise your CYA if you use them all the time. You will need to then keep higher levels of chlorine which costs money... Cal hypo is the only one that has no stabilizer but I believe is hard to fine and only comes granular. Never mix tri chlor and cal hypo... It can go BOOM!!!

oh can we talk about price of liquid chlorine,
this is information about it:
What is that? 2.5 gallons of 10% for $3.49??? Thats great man.. I wish we had that here... Whats the catch though. Your not telling me everything... It says exchange... How much was the jug? I would take it that you need to bring that jug back and have them fill it? And only so many times? LOL.. Just asking is all...

Old 09-22-13, 09:10 PM
-10:37pm
FC = 14ppm and i just added 1 gallon to raise FC to 16ppm before i go to sleep.
CC = 0.5ppm
-about the valves, almost 3 weeks working with it, i figure out here

-i took this picture 2 weeks ago, but now i changed something, after i removed all stuff on the bottom, sometime i open the "closed" valve, i relized it is the main drain,
and the "open" valve is the skimmer. so i keep both open from 3 4 days ago til today. the psi still 20. (i backwash every 8-10 hours)
that just what i figure out. i dont know right or wrong. can you help me what i should do? both open or just the skimmer?
my pressure gauge:

i've try to touch the bottom of the skimmer, it only have 1 hole.

-and about "shallow" and "deep end" you said. is it like this pool i download on google? "yes! my pool look like that."

Thats great man..
- you can call me "little girl" or something like that. not "man" )))

-yes! I used and brought back. then they will fill for me. my nearest ace hardware cost me 6.98/5gals, i get those jugs from the house preowner.
the other ace hardware, last time i came, i saw they have a lot of empty 2.5gal jugs and will sell me almost $10/5gal, i think that $3 more is the price of those jugs.
leslie's pool store have it too. $6-$7/2.5gal,as i remember. all is 10.5%. i see that NJ have leslie's too.

Old 09-22-13, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
can you help me what i should do? both open or just the skimmer?
Both open... Only for clean up close the skimmer while vacuum. Push stuff to main drain. Better suction..

Old 09-22-13, 09:44 PM
Tomorrow morning I will take more pictures of the pipes from different directions.
have a good night !!!

Old 09-22-13, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Ok................................................

Old 09-23-13, 07:06 AM
this morning the FC lv still 15ppm. yeahh. CC = 0.5ppm
it's raining now
the water not really clear.

and this is some pics of my filter:

Old 09-23-13, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Good... Keep filtering 24/7.

You may want to raise the chlorine some say in the 18 range. So your saying its holding from the night before?

Now its just a filtering issue.

When you changed the sand did you inspect the distributer for cracks?

Did you replace the spider gasket in the filter valve?

These things can contribute to reduced filtering capacity. Dont backwash too much as dirt in the filter makes it filter better. Let the psi rise some 5 psi or so.

An old trick I used was to add DE to the skimmer until the psi in the filter raised about 1 psi. DE will make that filter far superior and filter better. But when you back wash you will need to add more DE.

Give all test #'s again please.

Also I see that is tile on the side of the pool? That means the pool is cement. We will need to get the calcium levels in check but I would like to see the #'s.

Old 09-23-13, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Old 09-23-13, 08:08 AM
now do i have to continue slam the pool?

When you changed the sand did you inspect the distributer for cracks?
"no"

Did you replace the spider gasket in the filter valve?

No i didn't replace the spider gasket but i have revomed it and put it back together.(not sure if i had put back right)

im at work cant get the results for you now.

Old 09-23-13, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
now do i have to continue slam the pool?
Keep the level up another day and let use know the evening and morning chlorine levels. Raise it a tad to 18 or so before bed. 24/7 filtering.

Old 09-23-13, 10:23 AM
so tonight i have to raise FC to 18? "another day"??

Old 09-23-13, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
so tonight i have to raise FC to 18? "another day"??
Sure why not. You need the pool to clear and be sure everything in there is dead. Then it will be about filtering. Live algea dont filter. Dead algea does. If the pools still cloudy it still has live algea, or your filter has issues.

You are running 27/7 right? If not then thats why the pool is still cloudy I would think if you say the chlorine is holding overnight...

Whats one more night? You got this far......

Old 09-23-13, 11:38 AM
yes, my pool running 24/24, last night FC = 16ppm and this mornig FC=15ppm. overnight with the pump "never off".
tonight i'll post the test results. bring FC to 18.
I just worry that my filter is having problems.

Old 09-23-13, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
I just worry that my filter is having problems.
Is the pressure rising? Example: If you start with a 20 psi clean filter does the pressure rise overnight?

You should have checked the laterals when you had the sand out. The best way , and to retain the sand is use a shop vac and suck it out. When the vac gets full dump it on a tarp. Then pull the lateral. If the tube is cracked you can replace.

I will find info.

Old 09-23-13, 04:43 PM
Good news: i can see the main drain on the bottom at deep end.

7:30pm
the chlorine still pretty high. today i didnt add anything, just rain all day
pH=7.5
alka=140ppm
hardness=160ppm
CYA= 30ppm

i'll test the chlorine before i add more chlorine to raise it to 18 tonight

Old 09-23-13, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
OK let us know how the pool looks in the morning...

I had this trouble with my pool once. I will explain that later if yours does not clear soon.

Old 09-23-13, 04:59 PM
i just edit my post, i can see the main drain now.

Old 09-23-13, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Cool... Its a filter race now... just keep filtering, and I would maintain shock level until clear. It should not take much chlorine to maintain a 12-15ppm... But I would bump it to 18 before bed and see what results you get tomorrow...

Old 09-23-13, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
You will need to raise the calcium levels some. Between 200 and 400 ppm. What ever you buy read the instructions carefully... That stuff makes heat when it touches water, and if you mix with other chemicals such as soda ash it will make your pool cloudy....

That is tile on the side of the pool right and not vinyl right????