Replace Hot Tub Cover Pistons

Old 09-26-13, 03:14 PM
Replace Hot Tub Cover Pistons

I have a four person Hot Springs Soverign with a hard shell cover with a lifter. I need to replace the pistons or struts. How much weight or pressure should I get for the lifter's pistons? 50, 75, 100 pounds?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look right on the ones that are there now.
Look for a sticker that has a make, model, length, anything.

Old 09-26-13, 03:41 PM
There are no stickers or markings on the old ones. I have the dimensions but need to know how much lifting pressure or weight to purchase replacement ones.

Old 09-26-13, 04:01 PM
Too large a piston and it won't stay closed. Too small and it won't open easily. I googled your spa and they don't deal in covers. Do you know who made the cover? It may help to know that and a search of their site may produce numbers that would work. The only other thing is to measure the weight when the cover is half closed, and jump a few pounds up from that. If it weighs 30 lbs, go with a 50 lb piston, etc. I just think being proprietary, the pistons are made for that application only.

Old 09-26-13, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing it weighs over a hundred pounds. Hot tub suppliers charge 2 or 3 times the amount for replacement pistons. I think I'll just gamble and get two rated for 75 pounds and see what happens. It's better than none.

Old 09-26-13, 05:34 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, and close to the proper weight rating. Let us know how it goes with the shocks.