High Limit Switch Keeps Tripping

Old 10-08-13, 05:08 AM
High Limit Switch Keeps Tripping

I have a VitaSpa and have noticed I really cannot seem to get the thing above 98/99 degrees without tripping the high limit switch. I was about to replaced the pressure switch because a spa guy told me it could be that. That was until I read this post... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/po...it-switch.html.

This makes me believe that the pressure switch may not be the issue. Whether the pumps are on or not, if I set the temperature to go over that 98/99 mark it seems to trip the switch. I have not replaced the switch on mine because that did not fix the previous posters issue. He did mention calibrating the switches but I am unsure on how to do that.

The spa will run days without tripping at 98/99. But once I turn it up higher, it will run anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes before tripping. Then I need to wait 20 minutes or so to reset it. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start just replacing parts.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-13, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
First I would check that you are getting good water flow through the heater.

Old 10-08-13, 07:19 AM
Care to elaborate on how this can be tested? I am new to the spa ownership so this is all a learning experience for me but I am handy so I can do most things myself.

Old 10-08-13, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
It depends on how your spa is plumbed. If a bit of debris or mineral deposits have slowed the flow through the heater the water can't take the heat away fast enough and it trips the high limit. Does your spa have a separate, small pump that run continuously for filtration or does the main pump come on occasionally for filtration?

Old 10-08-13, 08:57 AM
Yes there are two pumps. Primary is a brand new pump and secondary is an older one.

Old 10-08-13, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Make sure your circulate (small) pump is running strong. You should be able to feel where it outputs into the spa. If the flow is weak there may be a restriction somewhere or the pump just needs replacing. Mine runs 24/7 all year long so about every 3 or 4 years I'm in for a new impeller or whole new pump.

Old 10-08-13, 11:55 AM
Thank you. I will review this tonight.

As for the pump running continuous, why is that? Mine does that and I was thinking of using the built-in timer to stop that. During the day and at night (after 10pm) there is no need for the pump to be running other than to maintain temperature. However being an older unit, I am not sure that is an option other than using the built in timer.

Old 10-08-13, 12:54 PM
Its not the flow issue. The pump seems to be strong.

Old 10-08-13, 04:32 PM
Turns out there may be a short somewhere. When I got home today GFCI breaker was tripped on the inside of the house. First thing I did was try to turn it back on, but it tripped right away. So I then disconnected the service disconnect, and the breaker stayed on this time. Next I reconnected the service disconnect and disconnected the wires running into the actual Control Panel, the breaker did not trip when turned back on. I reconnected the red wire in the breaker then tripped and would not stay on. I then disconnected the red wire and connected only the black wire and the same thing happened. From this, I assume everything from coming into Control Panel back to my actual electrical panel is fine. The problem seems to be in the control panel somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start testing stuff? Like disconnecting certain things to try to get the breaker to not trip. Then I can diagnose what the part may be that is bad and tripping my GFCI.

Old 10-08-13, 08:24 PM
Fixed the hot tub. Somebody spliced the blower power cord before I owned it. Splice got wet which kept tripping the GFCI.

High limit issue unresolved.

Old 10-08-13, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
You can check your hi limit thermostat for accuracy. You need to remove it from the tub and put the sensor end in a saucepan of water with a thermometer and heat it until it opens.

You will need to connect a meter, set to ohms, to the electrical connection on the switch to see when it actuates.