Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Filter Timer won't "fully" shut off filter

Old 10-09-13, 04:10 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi - I have a problem. I bought this house, with the pool, a few months ago, so it's still a little foreign to me. I am handy with tools and troubleshooting, though, and I want to try and fix this myself.

The pool has a Zodiac salt system, Intermatic timer, and a Pentair WFE-8 2HP motor. The timer is set to run about 9 hours a day right now.

When the timer hits its "off moment" the timer switch trips, and the Zodiac system goes off, but sometimes the Pentair - the filter itself - does not turn off. And sometimes it turns off, but comes back on again later (before the timer hits its "on moment." The switch DOES move to OFF. This started happening a couple of weeks ago, so it was NOT like this when I bought it.

I have opened the covers on the Intermatic, and ensured that all connectors are tight. I also pulled the tiny cover on the end of the Pentair and checked those connections, but have NOT yet pulled the whole end-cap off. Moving the switch on the Intermatic works exactly as it does with the timer - the Zodiac goes on and off, but the Pentair just stays on.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas I can try? Looking for a little help before I call someone and pay for me to slap my head and say, "I should have found that!"

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-09-13, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is there a model number or part number listed on that timer ?
Is there any mention of a firemans switch inside on the timer door ?

The fireman switch is supposed to turn off a device (usually a heater) before the timer turns off. Usually the fireman switch is a low voltage switch but yours, if it has it, may be different.

You may also have a two pole timer there and one of the switching poles has a problem. The model number will tell us which you have.

Old 10-10-13, 07:08 AM
E
It appears to be a T-104P from picture comparisons. It looks like it was moved into a larger box than it came in to accommodate some of the connections for the solar heating panels. There is no "fireman's switch."

The pool does not have a spa or any conventional heater. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-10-13, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
If you didn't find the model number on yours then we don't exactly what you there. The style you picked out is available in many combinations. The one in the picture is a 240v timer.

The Pentair WFE-8 is shown as a 240v pump.
I'd imagine the Zodiac system is 120v. Most of the salt systems have a flow sensor and will shut off if no water flow.

I'm trying to figure out the wiring.

What you can do is to unsnap the timer from the housing so you can see behind it. Check the condition and spacing of the two contact switches. Make sure breaker is off before inspection.

Old 10-10-13, 05:13 PM
E
Okay, so the bigger box the timer is in turns out to be an Intermatic case, a T21004R. The timer inside it is marked: T1202M1

Thank you!

Old 10-10-13, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
The contacts I mentioned are the ones to the right of the red arrow. When timer is off are either of those two touching ?

Name:  t.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 10-11-13, 06:52 PM
E
Thanks, PJ-

Okay, I pulled it all open again, and with the breaker off went and moved the power switch on and off and back again. When off, the connectors have a solid 1/16" of space, so they're good.

I repeated several times just to be sure. There's no question - the contacts are fine.

Old 10-11-13, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Ok....you've stumped the expert. I'm a little confused as to how the 240v pump can continue to run if both contacts are open.

Old 10-11-13, 11:48 PM
E
See for yourself. This is "switch off"

Old 10-11-13, 11:52 PM
E
But if you're convinced that's where the problem SHOULD be, then I will inspect closer, maybe look for something in the vicinity touching, and hit them with contact cleaner or something.

I'll try some stuff in the morning.

Old 10-13-13, 05:19 PM
E
Tried a bunch of things, even going so far as to put cardboard between the contacts when it's "off" but "on."

No dice. But I understand your thinking methodology, and I have to conclude that the Intermatic switch must be the problem. I am thinking I should order one and switch it in, to see for sure.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: