Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

New house - need to understand pool chemistry

Old 12-10-13, 11:13 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Hi

We have owned the pool for 8 days. Now that we are moved in I've started looking around for things to fix.

We have a tile pool and spa. I don't know how many gallons yet. The community has well water. The chlorine level looks fine but the pH is 6.8. The little $10 test kit I just bought says "add soda ash".

Is soda ash the thing to do with tiled in ground pools ?

In Florida we had a marcite pool. We had local pool stores where you brought in a sample and they gave you a menu of stuff to add. There it was chlorine, alkalinity plus, muriatic acid and calcium. How is my routine going to be different with a well fed tile pool ?

Do I only really need to check the chlorine and pH levels ?

Thanks

Old 01-08-14, 04:47 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
you had a marcite coating on the fl pool & now you're got tile but it doesn't tell us what kind of pool it is - just the coating,,, probably shotcrete OR concrete,,, no reason you shouldn't trust a HI pool guy,,, ask your neighbors

1 gal = 231 cu inches,,, hi-skoul arithmetik will get the answer after you measure/calculate pool/& spa volume

Old 01-14-14, 07:54 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The best info I can give you on what and how to take care of your pool is to send you here. Forum Index • Trouble Free Pool While some pool stores can be OK, most are horrible when it comes to water chemistry. The TF100 test kit is the bare minimum you should have if you are a pool owner. Read the Pool School posting.

Old 02-06-14, 01:57 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
troublefreepool is an awesome resource. it helped me learn the basics for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: