what is the trick to a leaky o ring?

Old 02-20-14, 12:13 PM
what is the trick to a leaky o ring?

Hello all,
So my Premium Leisure hot tub is less than 3 years old and has developed a leak at both pumps, at the wet ends. The wet ends are Waterway Viper with a part number of 315-1500 I think. I figured the orings were leaking for whatever reason and this would be an easy fix. So I ordered new o rings, part 805-0264 but when they came in they were about an inch too big. I called waterway and they verified those were the right o rings for my wet end but I can assure you they are not!! I took the volutes down to my local industrial supply and they gave me o rings that were measured to fit.
I went ahead and replaced the wear rings on the impellers while I was there and today when I put it all together I still get a drip drip drip from where the o ring should seal. When the pump turns on there is a stream of water shooting out. If I tighen them the leak gets worse. This is happening at both pumps. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 10:20 AM
Search Engine Optimized Spammers Not Allowed!
New here.
You must check the pump in the equipment compartment, often a bad pump seal can be the cause of the leak. Replacing your entire wet end may save you a lot of headache.

Old 02-26-14, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
When you say "wet end" O rings what do you mean? The one that goes between the two pump housings sections? There might be one at the inlet and outlet fitting where it meets the spa's plumbing. Then you have the shaft seals where the motor shaft enters the pump housing.

Old 02-26-14, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhhhhhh..... the joy of plastic pump housings.
You contacted Waterway about the O rings.... did you ask them about the leaks with their pumps ?
Maybe a slight bit of silicone on the gasket will aid in the sealing.

Part 5 is the o-ring.
Name:  wet.jpg
Views: 3414
Size:  26.8 KB

Old 02-27-14, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with the equipment, but my first thought was a crack.

Old 02-27-14, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone,
Yes, #5 in the above diagram are the o rings I am talking about. This started out as a drip, drip, drip from the plastic parts #4 and #9 there. The only 'drip point' other than a crack would be #8 which is a shaft seal and I can visually see the leaks so.....
I lost confidence in waterway when they said I had the right replacement o rings when they are clearly wrong. I thought about replacing the entire wet end as that seem the common fix but at the end of the day all I have is a bad seal between two plastic pieces. I am going to try some hondabond on the joint, let it dry and see what happens.
Yes, that entire assembly is what I believe is called a wet end and there is an inlet and an outlet sealed hand tight like plumbing with rubber gasket things. I'm not leaking from there, it is definately the o ring seal. I removed both and cannot see any cracks.
I'll update any progress or outcome and thanks for the ideas.

Old 03-02-14, 07:47 PM
well, I'm going to call this one closed because I kinda give up. I am going to order complete new wet ends tomorrow as that seems common practice. I tried the Hondabond but the leak was still there. I am beginning to wonder if it is designed to have a slight leak when there is the start of a bigger problem.....kinda like the weep hole on a water pump.
Anyway, thanks again for the ideas and the time.

Old 08-11-15, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
I would clean all the mating surfaces and the groove where the O rings sits with lighter fluid. Put on a bead of silicone RTV, put the O ring in and then put it back together.

I've found that plastic housings distort very easily.