Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Power Light Blinks: 2000 Hot Springs Landmark

Old 03-08-14, 08:35 AM

Hi,
I have a 2000 Hot Springs Landmark spa. The spa was up to temperature showing the green temperature light along with the red power light. The filters are clean and there "has not" been a power failure. This happens with or without turning on the jets.
Does anyone know what would suddenly cause the red power light to begin blinking? This has happened numerous times before. The power & heater electrical breakers "are not" tripping. The only fix I have found is to perform the following steps;
1) Turn both breakers off (Power & heat).
2) Wait five to ten minutes and flip the power breaker on.
3)Wait another five to ten minutes and flip the heater breaker on.
Sometimes I have to repeat these steps in order to get it back to regular operating status.
Once corrected, everything would be fine for a couple days and then for some reason the power light begins to flash again. I'd like to add that I have upgraded the factory heater assembly, Thermistor, Control thermostat & Thermistor, Spa high limit back in May of 2008. Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-14, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
It appears that you have a hi heat limiting issue.

Power Indicator: The POWER indicator is ‘on’ when the spa is properly supplied with power. It also provides a diagnostic function–a blinking power indicator indicates that the heater high limit has tripped, meaning that either the spa water is above its acceptable temperature range, or a malfunction has occurred within the spa (such as low circulation due to clogged filters).

Name:  spa.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  8.8 KB

Old 03-09-14, 10:29 AM
Hi, Thanks for the reply..... Could it be that the High Limit Switch is bad for the heater? If so, is the switch replaceable? I have no problem changing things out for myself. Thanks for the help, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

Old 03-09-14, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
The limit switches can go bad although it's not all that common.

Previously you said you upraded the heater.... did you increase its size ?
Water flow or lack of thru the heater is a typical problem.

Old 03-09-14, 11:57 AM
At the time I replaced the heater, I made sure that it was a factory replacement along with all the other parts mentioned "heater link" 73790-PDR Titanium Heater, 1.5kW/6kW (Factory Upgrade Replacement), 73790
The filters are about five years old and are cleaned every two to three weeks. In addition, spa chemicals are used according to Hot Springs recommendations, religiously. A hard cover has always been in place since new. My wife and I are the only two that use the hot tub an average of six times a month. I suppose the filters could be beyond cleaning with the pores being partially plugged, but they sure don't look like it. I could remove the filters temporarily for a test to see if it trips again. I realize it's not the smartest thing in the world to do, but with the cover in place and not using it the test should be ok. I'd like to add, recently it tripped while we were away and the water was quite cool (approx. 50 degrees). It only took around 8 hours or so to bring it up to 100 degrees. Thanks again for all you help, Ray

Old 03-10-14, 05:51 AM
Hi, Performed the test without filters in place. Woke up this morning with a flashing red light once again. It took approx. 60 to 72 hours before this cycle tripped. Filters were removed 20 hours ago. This test tells me that it's not a filter problem due to the lack of water running through the system. During this entire cycle, the spa jets were not turned on. Temperature was set at 100 degrees which held steady throughout this cycle. I flipped the main power breaker from on to off to on which now has a solid red and green light (for now). Green of course meaning it's up to set temperature. I checked the temperature immediately which is at 100 degrees previously set. With that being said, I don't believe that the water itself is overheating, but maybe the heater is.......??? It can only be a small number of things that's causing this to happen, but what? At least the temp's are slightly above freezing. Ray

Old 03-19-14, 04:51 AM
Would like some more help/suggestions for troubleshooting this problem. Thanks, Ray

Old 03-28-14, 10:53 AM
hot spring heater issue

Is the circulation pump moving a strong stream of water? check its suction at the filter, with filter removed, if you put your hand toward the hole, it should "suck" your hand briskly. Many times circ pumps still run, but dont move the amount of water needed in order to keep the water from overheating inside the heater.

Old 04-03-14, 05:49 AM
I will check this today..... I'll report back. Thanks for your help, Ray

Old 04-05-14, 01:47 PM
Hardly anything at all...... This must be the problem. As soon as the weather breaks I'll dig into it. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Ray

Old 11-16-14, 05:46 AM
Hi, I'm so sorry that I didn't follow up. I thought I did and just now noticed that I didn't. It was my circulation pump. Upon taking it apart it had hard calcium deposits throughout. I cleaned it thoroughly and spa has been running great ever since. I can't thank you enough for all your help in leading me to the problem. THANK YOU! Again, I'm sincerely sorry that I didn't follow up. Thanks again for everything, Ray

Old 11-16-14, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for stopping by and updating us. Judging by the page views for this thread it's a common problem.

Old 05-26-16, 08:48 PM
Heeeeeeeelllp!

I have the EXACT same issues as above poster BUT my circ pump is working. Lots of bubble comming out of floor and good suction from above. Waterfall working great.

I reset, it works for about 24 hrs then gosh darn red light starts blinking again! It's driving me nuts! I have already replaced heater AND thermistors. It worked for about 5 days after that, then red light again.

I have stuck fishing wire up and dislodged all the calcium.

Should I throw tons of muriatic acid and have it dissolve the calcium?

I do notice the outside of the heater does get hot to touch, is that normal?

I'm ready to throw my tub in the garbage.

Old 05-27-16, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

We try not to piggyback problems in a thread as it can get confusing. I'll will make yours it's own thread as soon as I get some details.

This is the same year, make and model of the original posters spa ?

Water flow thru the system is critical to keep the heater from over heating and tripping a high heat fault. You need to verify a lot of water coming into the spa and good suction leaving.

Old 05-27-16, 05:43 PM
Thank you.

I have a 2005 hot springs soviergn.

I have good suction from the filter and I do have bubble coming out the footwell.

I also notice after the red light trips the circ pump still working but the jets won't turn in.

I'm getting so frustrated. It's driving me nuts.

I spent almost $800 in parts already!
Thanks for your help!