Inground pool liner replacement.

Old 04-30-14, 09:21 AM
Inground pool liner replacement.

Bought a foreclosed property with a 16x32 inground pool, with a failed liner, steel panel upper sides.

First guy to look at it was there 5 minutes, said sides need to be sanded, vermiculite bottom repaired, liner etc, and that they assumed the pipes to the drain were intacted., $2600 to do it... but they do not include filling (rural area)

Now to me the bottom looks like concrete with alot of cracks visile, and it clearly looks to have some ground water issues couple feet of standing water in deep end.... none of which he mentioned...

what is the visual or textural difference to tell vermiculite from concrete?

am I likely to harm the base further by pumping it out and removing the torn liner to get a better assement?

Looking online liners seem to be about 1/3 of what these companies are trying to charge, exclusive of labor.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
what is the visual or textural difference to tell vermiculite from concrete?
Vermiculite is added to the concrete. It makes for a softer and much more porous installation. When wet it molds very quickly as it holds the water. It also gets crumbly when exposed to continuous water.

The pool guy probably pressed on the liner and felt is soft behind it. Concrete would have no give.

I would remove the rest of the water from the pool.

As far as the liner... there are many different quality liners on the market. Warranty term determines price. You'd want to make sure you had some kind of warranty on installation including leaking issues.

Old 04-30-14, 02:47 PM
took a closer look when I got home. The base is definitely regular concrete, not vermiculite, which probably makes that guys price better depending on the wording of the contract, but worries me as to their skills as he did not bother to look at it close.

Old 05-01-14, 06:36 AM
I'm sure he is not replacing the bottom, only patching it with the vermiculite which is normal when replacing liner. Sounds like a pretty good price.

Old 05-01-14, 10:26 AM
can you reliably patch cracked concrete with vermiculite when some of it will be exposed to gound water?

grind out the cracks to soften the edges then fill and skim a bit?

Old 05-01-14, 06:06 PM
I would use a sand / cement mixture. There should be a line to pump out ground water while working on pool.