homemade hot tub

Old 02-23-13, 05:40 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
homemade hot tub

I plan on building myself a homemade hot tub, i was wondering whats the easiest and/or cheapest way to seal the inside, make it water tight. my initial though was something i can roll on then tile and grout. would that work? this will only be a small 2 man hot tub that im going to heat with a log burner and radiator configuration. just want to know the best way to make it water tight.
any and all comments much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-13, 11:27 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Start with a watertight tub.

Like this:

Old 02-23-13, 11:30 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You aren't likely to get a serious answer because it just isn't a DIY project. There are too many safety issues involved even if you can make it water proof.

Old 02-23-13, 11:37 AM
what do you plane to use as building material? Wood? Concrete?

Old 02-23-13, 12:14 PM
F
I'll bet a dozen donuts this is another one-post wonder.

Old 02-23-13, 12:52 PM
M
un eventful

@furd, i dont have $3k for a large stainless steel tub like that, lets please only respond instead of being a douche.

@todurt going to frame a structure with 2x4's and use plywood for interior

@ray2047 if this isnt a DIY project whats it called when im "doing it myself"

thanks for all your helpful answers... *best sarcasm i have* btw when will you be sending those donuts myway?

Old 02-23-13, 01:10 PM
F
Matthew, I apologize. We get lots of questions from first time posters that never return and I find it quite irritating when I write a detailed answer and it all for nothing. I hope you like Dunkin' virtual donuts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9556[/ATTACH]

On a more serious note, probably the most DIY friendly answer would be to line the tub you construct with fiberglass. You could use kits made for boat repair or perhaps buy the materials separately. Small kits are available from the mega-mart homecenters and bulk supplies from boat repair and boat building sources. It won't be easy, especially if you have never worked with fiberglass before and the process is really stinky. It won't be inexpensive either.

On the other hand, if you don't mind lots of folds and wrinkles in the liner you could use backyard pond liner which can also be purchased at the large homecenters. How are you planning on heating this unit?

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-13, 05:05 PM
M
yes im going to heat it with a log fire. with the tubing that wraps around a fire pit.

Old 02-23-13, 06:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yea, Matthew until you get a bit more specific with your posts those are the responses you can expect. So far you have only said you want to build a hot tub, want to roll something on and build a fire. As someone who has made a spa in the bed of a pickup, dorm room and heated a swimming pool heated a wood fire we can help but you have to give us something to work with other than attitude because we can't read your mind.

Old 02-23-13, 07:00 PM
have you thought about a vinyl liner? You can order one custom fit to any shape or size you make the tub.

Old 02-24-13, 02:24 AM
M
Are you serious? lets put this as simple as can be since i seem to be speaking in a different language. forget about what im building. forget about how im building it. all i wanted to know is the best way to make lets say a wooden crate water tight. simple as that. i already made that point clear and already got some good answers. So for you to tell me i wont get any answers because of my attitude its because of people like "pilot dane" not being able to read.

good day.

Old 02-24-13, 02:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It would appear the Furd's suggestion of fiberglass would be pretty good since you need a strong material in which to bond the tile and grout to.

I don't think a basic "rolled on" material over wood would give you an acceptable bonding surface.

Old 02-24-13, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you are set on the "wood crate" or plywood box I would use a liner. It will be cheaper and more durable. Really cheap and good enough for a while is 6 mil sheet plastic. Next up, still cheap but more durable you can use pond liner material and live with the folds and creases. Next up in cost and complexity you can use shower liner and cut it to shape and glue the seams. Best would be to order a pool liner made to fit your box.

If you want to do fiberglass I would spend some time reading how wooden boats are made and fiberglassed. It will give you some guidance as which resin and how much and how heavy matting for reinforcement. Keep in mind that just a thin skim coating of fiberglass will soon crack and leak as the wood flexes and expands & contracts so you will need more than just a film painted on.

If you have woodworking tools and skills you can also make the spa out of wood. If made with the correct wood they can be quite durable and hold water surprisingly well. There are many books and online tutorials for building old school, round redwood hot tubs.

In all cases mentioned none are appropriate for tile if approaching it from the cheap and "wood crate" mentality. Tile and grout will require that you think more professional and build a proper, rigid structure which unfortunately drives up the cost. You don't have to go crazy and build a gunnite or concrete spa but it does have to be more than a wooden crate. One thing that will help if you want tile is to use smaller sizes to help prevent cracking the tile. It can be also be adhered and grouted with silicone caulk which will allow the tile to withstand some flexing.

Old 02-25-13, 01:15 AM
M
I was also thinking about using one of those large plastic tubs. not sure what theyre called but ive seen them mostly used for grain or water to feed farm animals. anyone know what theyre called?

thanks for all the insight. this is a set in stone project and will be done. once its done. come mid april to may i will post pictures.

Old 02-25-13, 05:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Check farm and feed suppliers. The large containers are called stock tanks and are used for watering animals.

Old 05-21-14, 05:17 AM
R
I fined build a my two man hot tub how heard is it to make a over sized hot the size of a swim tub

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: