Hayward Model H250 milivolt

Old 06-04-14, 10:57 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pool Heater - Hayward Model H250 milivolt

My pool heater started up good this spring & after about a week of trouble free operation I noticed a far amount of soot on the chimeney just below the cap . Upon further investigation I noticed the heater was cycling on and off about every ten minutes . It does get the pool to the desired temperature though . I also noticed a slight whistle when the heater fires up . This heater was purchased in 2009 and has been trouble free until now . What should I be looking for ? The closest pool service people are 200 miles away . Should I have the burners removed & inspected & cleaned ..... this has never been done !!!

Last edited by Ron Pidlubny; 06-04-14 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Not enough information
Old 06-05-14, 08:01 AM
check gas pressure, also clean heat exchanger, and gas orfices

Old 06-05-14, 11:53 AM
R
Smile

Thanks for the replay todrut I am going to clean orifices & heat exchanger this has never been done in the 5 years I have owned it ! Good 1st step .... I think the gas supply is good I have 2 gas fireplaces a furnace & hot water tank on this line and they are all working fine . The pool heater is the 1st piece of equipment after my natural gas meter ... but I will keep this in mind after I do the other stuff .

Last edited by Ron Pidlubny; 06-05-14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-14, 12:57 PM
R
Should I pull the burner out to clean the gas orifices ??

Old 06-05-14, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Main burner orifices:
The main burner orifices can be removed from the manifold with a 7/16” wrench without having to remove the burner assembly from the heater. After cleaning or replacing orifices re-install in manifold being careful not to overtighten as a leak may result.

Here is the link to your manual. Section six deals with the burner and cleaning issues.
Hayward pool manuals FH-series-Hxxx.pdf

Old 06-06-14, 06:41 PM
R
I removed the main burner & cleaned all the orifices .... they all looked pretty clean, burner tubes where all quite clean also but I made sure prior to reinstall , Prior to reinstalling I opened up and cleaned the heat exchanger this was full of black soot !! I took my garden hose & washed it out thoroughly , I then put the burner back in place hooked up the gas line and appropriate wiring fired it up & all is GOOD. From my observation the problem was the soot in the heat exchanger the burner and the orifices where quite clean .. Thanks for your help It took me about 5 hours total with a couple of breaks to do this & probably saved about $400.00 on a service call !!!!

Old 06-06-14, 07:52 PM
great to hear, but something caused the soot, I would check gas pressure to be sure

Old 06-07-14, 05:41 AM
R
Red face Hayward Model H250 milivolt

I will get the Gas Company over next week to check the gas pressure .... I will let you know what I find ... A little more information about my system I installed a salt water system in my pool this spring & along with this I installed a timer on my pump. I set it to run about 12 hrs a day . I used to do this before but manually & I always made sure I shut the heater off at least 10 minutes prior to shutting the pump off . Now with the timer the heater shuts off at the same time as the pump. I did not install a fireman's switch on the heater as the manual says there is no need to for this type of heater ! Could this be causing the sooting ??

Last edited by Ron Pidlubny; 06-07-14 at 06:13 AM. Reason: more information
Old 06-08-14, 08:43 AM
no it shouldn't, typically if heater is running then gas is used in house the pressure will drop at heater causing soot. Can also be pipe size going to heater

Old 06-08-14, 11:58 AM
R
I will definitely get the gas pressure checked ... I have owned this pool for 30 years .... this is my third heater I changed one due to old age and lost one due to not winterizing it properly. I bought this one 5 years ago and this is the first time I have had a problem with soot with any of my heaters . gas piping has not changed other then the gas co installing a larger meter about 7 years ago ... Thanks for your advice ..The pool guy we have here only sells the equipment & installs doesn't know much about service .. he sometime calls me and asks for advice !!

Old 06-08-14, 07:42 PM
did you add any gas appliances in the house?

Old 06-09-14, 05:27 AM
R
Nothing in the last 20 years ...... the only gas that would be running in the house this time of year would be my hot water tank !!

Old 06-09-14, 11:13 AM
D
What temp was the pool water when you started the heater? Water that is too cold will cause condensation inside the unit which will lead to sooting. Hayward does not have anything in their manual on this. Some do, and they recommend not using the heater until the water temp gets up into the high 60's range.

Old 06-09-14, 12:43 PM
R
Smile

danpik ... it was probably around 62 deg ... I did notice steam coming out of the chimney .. when I noticed the soot on the chimney . I actually thought at the time I had a leak in my Heat Exchanger as this had happened to me before on a different Heater when I didn't winterize properly ! This makes sense to me ............. PS it also happened the day after we received 5"of rain in a 2 day period ... may of got some water on heat exchanger down the chimney don't know !!

Last edited by Ron Pidlubny; 06-09-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 07:16 AM
R
todrut
Gas pressure checked out Good 3.5wc turned on all other source of use during the test ( Hot water heater , 2 gas fireplaces & furnace ) ... the burner may of been dirtier then I thought .. once I cleaned it the low pitch whistle stopped I will make sure I clean this on a yearly basis it's not that hard now that I have done it .
Thanks for your help

Old 06-11-14, 08:20 AM
Great to hear, always better safe...

Old 06-12-14, 06:45 AM
R
todrut
For sure .... I learned a lot about my heater by servicing (cleaning ) it myself it wasn't all that hard . The best thing is it is now working fine and I saved lots of $$$.$$ by doing it myself .
Thanks again for all your Help

Old 06-12-14, 06:50 AM
you're welcome, glad we could help...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: