Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Chlorine will not increase in my Swimming Pool

Old 06-11-14, 08:57 AM

I converted to salt this year , I shocked upon opening balanced pool now PH 7.4 TA 120 total hardness - 300 .. total chlorine - 2 Free chlorine - 0 .. CYA low ... my pool is nice and clear yet I am not getting a free Chlorine reading ... should I shock again to get free Chlorine level up ? I added 6.5 lbs of stabalizer last night which was recommended to get a level of 30 ppm for my size of pool approx. 27000 gals . I then set my chlorine generator to full and am letting the pump run full for 24 hrs I am hoping after doing this I will start getting a free chlorine reading ... Any thoughts ??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-14, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
What size salt generator do you have?

Yes after 24hours let us know what you get in terms of chlorine readings..

Add bleacjh or salt to raise the level mid point of whats recommended of the salt generator if you see no readings after 24 hours..

Make sure you lower the salt generator to maintain that level.

Running the generator on hi all the time will burn it out quicker...

Old 06-11-14, 11:11 AM
The generator is a Jandy AquaPure EI series .... APURE35PLG which is good for a 35,000 gallon pool. My pool is 27,000 gals
They recommendation for this unit is 4000 PPM salt. I am presently at slightly over that amount just over 4100 PPM . The unit output 0.93 lbs of chlorine per day . I was running unit & pump 12 hrs a day at 80% output maybe this wasn't enough . I was probably loosing a far amount of chlorine because of a very low CYA level & temperature was at 84 deg F . I have owned this pool for thirty years & am very familiar with operating a pool .... I am new to the salt system I have always used stabalized chlorine so I never had to use much CYA stabalizer . I will let you know what my results are after 24 hrs of running at full out with CYA added to recommended level . I know I should not have to run this generator full out ... if that is the case I should of stayed with the stabalized chlorine pucks .

Old 06-11-14, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Read section 4.7.1 on adding salt here... ( Is the salt light on?????)

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/m.../H0331400.ashx

Old 06-11-14, 06:33 PM
Cool

Add Salt light is not on ( salt level is good ) used test strip to test salt .. it is at 4000 + ppm . I followed manufactures recommendations for how much salt to add for my pool size . Could I be getting a false reading from the AquaCheck test strips .. is there a special type of test strips I should be using for a salt water pool . I get a total chlorine level of 3 which it says is ideal . but my free chlorine test strip is totally white could I have to much chlorine and be bleaching the strip . The pool is crystal clear & sparkles .. I ran for 24 hrs full out & I got no change on free chlorine level it just stayed white ??? I even went & purchased new test strips to make sure they were fresh !!

Old 06-11-14, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Test strips are inaccurate... I never use them. ( never have and never will) Get a drop based test kit and then post back your results....

Old 06-11-14, 07:21 PM
will do .... I have a Taylor test kit but solutions are old will have to replace !!! I prefer drop based also !!

Old 06-12-14, 06:56 AM
lawrosa
I ordered new test regents for my Taylor test kit ( K2005 ) which is a complete kit . They should be here in a couple of days . I will post once I receive these . I agree that the test strips are crap I will not use again I only bought them because my test regents were old and the strips were available locally .

Old 06-17-14, 12:35 PM
I received my new test regents today .... tested my pool today. All is good Aqua check test strips still not showing free active chlorine reading ..... thanks for your help

Old 06-17-14, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the follow up. I cannot over emphasis test strips are a waste of money...

Old 06-18-14, 09:17 AM
Just a note on my tests Taylor test kit vs AquaCheck
Taylor results FAC- 1.5 , TAC - 3.0, CAC - 1.5, PH - 7.4, TA -100, CH -180, CYA 40
AquaCheck CH - 200, TC -1, FC -0, PH 7.0 , TA -100 , CYA -low

Quite a difference ..... I am throwing the test strips away