Hayward Pool heater H150 not firing.

Old 06-11-14, 03:42 PM
Hayward Pool heater H150 not firing.

I think the gas valve is bad. I jumped the terminals on top of the valve to see if the unit would fire, nothing. This usually means the gas valve is bad. But, I went out this morn and jumped it again. it fired up with a small fire ball from underneath the heater. Knocked me back. The unit stopped about 10 seconds later. It never fired up again.

Curt

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-14, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing that this is a standing pilot model as the gas valve on the electronic ignition module needs power and shorting it would wipe out the module.

Any one of the safeties can be open and keeping the gas valve from opening. As you just found out.... there is a reason for safety switches.

Name:  150.jpg
Views: 3238
Size:  45.9 KB

Old 06-12-14, 04:17 AM
Yes, this is my system. The pilot stays lit. I'll check the millivolts today.

Old 06-12-14, 04:46 AM
Alex, I'll take" Clogged up heat exchanger with tripped rollout switch" for $1000.

Old 06-12-14, 07:54 AM
What is the Rollout switch?

Old 06-12-14, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
The roll out switch detects the flame when it is not contained in the burner and heat exchanger area. It's usually mounted near or right above the burner area. You had a brief flashback of flame...... had then been continued for a certain amount of time.... it would have tripped the roll out switch. Pictorial part #26 on or near page 43 in the parts breakout and location page.

Hayward-pool com/pdf/manuals/H-series.pdf

Old 06-15-14, 11:27 AM
update.
I removed the gas valve and burner housing as 1 piece. I found a clogged gas outlet port (spider web). This was the port nearest the pilot. I cleaned the burners and replaced a terminal on the TH. The unit started right up. Thanks for all your help.