GFCI trips immediately

Old 06-23-14, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI trips immediately

Hello - I'm sure this hot tub issue has been addressed a million times and trust me, I've done a lot of research the past few days about it....but I just haven't found the answer that I need. The manufacturer manuals that I've found online are not much help at all.

So....here is my situation. I hope someone can help. We bought a used hot tub and once we got it wired up we flipped the GFCI breaker and it tripped immediately. I spent a lot of time double checking the wiring installation to the tub and everything seemed to be okay...before the tub.

This is a Viking Spa (Heritage 2) and the name Destiny River is also on the tub (not sure exactly what you might need to know). It has a Balboa control pack (VKV502) with Balboa Heater. The two pumps are made by Waterway.

To make a long story short, I disconnected both pumps, the ozonator, the blower, the heater, a couple of sensors to the heater..basically anything with a connection plug to the circuit board. The GFCI still trips. I disconnected the red HOT wire and the GFCI still trips. Once I disconnected the black HOT wire, the GFCI did NOT trip. Both hot wires have 120vac on them with the GFCI reset.

There are also very minor leak(s), evident by small periodic drips that have accumulated at the bottom of the pump area. Please note that the GFCI tripped BEFORE I ever put water in the tub and everything was completely dry (at least since the last owner had it filled up).

I'll need advice at some point also on fixing these leaks.

I've got a spa technician scheduled to take a a look at it next week and I was told that if the problem is a heater, it would be $200 to get it fixed. On the other hand if it was a control pack it would cost $1,300 for repair.

I can do most any work myself, if I just have a little direction on troubleshooting, etc.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction to trouble shoot the problem beyond what I've already described? And if I need to buy parts, can you point me in the direct of a good source?

Thanks.
Roger

Last edited by rlb13; 06-23-14 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I disconnected both pumps, the ozonator, the blower, the heater, a couple of sensors to the heater..basically anything with a connection plug to the circuit board.
Well..... it's not the heater then.

I'll look up the schematic for the board. Do you have a camera to take pics and post them here for us ?

Old 06-23-14, 02:33 PM
Yes, I can post pictures. I can post pics as soon as I get home tonight.

Thank you!

Old 06-23-14, 05:12 PM
Pictures

I'll attempt to upload a few pictures that may or may not help. If there are any other pictures that would help, please let me know.

Thanks
Roger

Attached Images