Jacuzzi Tub Heater Question

Old 07-23-14, 12:27 PM
Jacuzzi Tub Heater Question

Hello,
I have an old Jacuzzi Hot Tub that has an external 9 gallon gas water heater that is used to heat the water. The water heater I have is from 1978 and finally needs to be replaced. From what I can tell, they no longer make gas water heaters this small. The closest size I can seem to find is a 29 or 30 gallon model. Is this the best route to go or is there a better alternative to use to heat the water these days? For what it's worth, I found a decent deal on a 10 gallon electric water heater, but am wondering if this would heat the water fast enough for the hot tub. Any suggestions?

Attached is an image of the current water heater....

Name:  WaterHeater.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  27.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-14, 04:39 PM
It would take a 14.4kw electric heater to produce the same amount of heat as the gas heater you have. Depending on your energy rates, electricity can be as much as 5 times the cost of gas.

Old 07-23-14, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Just throwing something out there.... how about a gas fired tankless heater ?

Old 07-23-14, 06:24 PM
I thought about a tankless gas fired water heater, but to be honest I have no idea if the flow rate would be too high for this to work properly. Do you have a particular model in mind?

Old 07-23-14, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
No.... just a thought but in looking at some of the specs...... in particularly the Jacuzzi brand of tankless heaters states it cannot be used on a spa or pool as the chemicals would harm the heating coils.

Is this tub outside and is it used year round ?
Any idea how many gallons of water ?

Your old heater was like 35 years old. That's pretty good.

Old 07-23-14, 07:20 PM
The tub is enclosed in a Florida room so it doesn't see any of the elements....but it is not heated or cooled either. We use it almost all year round, except for in the dead of summer when it is 90 degrees outside. I believe it is around 500 gallons of water. Yes, 35 years with the old heater was way above the life expectancy. I contacted AO Smith to get their latest model, but they told me there is no longer any type of direct replacement.