Marlig Fix-A-Leak question.

Old 08-21-14, 12:46 PM
Marlig Fix-A-Leak question.

I have checked in the plumbing area of my Dream Maker Eclipse spa, and can not find any leaking there, but my spa is leaking heavily coming from under the spa.

Has anyone used Marlig Fix-A-Leak before, and if so could it work on a heavily leaking spa?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-14, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Here is a piece I posted last year in checking for leaks. I looked at the Marlig website for the leak fixer. It LOOKS good. I'm not a big fan of products like that and haven't had the best of luck with them.

This was in response to a spa losing water.....
If the water stopped at a certain point then that's a good indication of the leak level. You could add some water, raise it a 1/2", and use a dark colored food dye at each jet to see which one is leaking. Use a flashlight to watch for dye movement.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a fitting. It could be a gasket on the back of a jet.

There is also a general way to help determine if the leak is in the piping or shell.
Fill spa up and mark water level on tub. Ran pump for 24 hours. Mark new level.
Refill spa and let sit for 24 hours.
If it dropped faster when the pump was running then it's in the supply piping.
If it went down slower when the pump was running then it's in the return/suction piping.
If it dropped the same amount with pump on or off then it's not a piping leak.

Old 08-22-14, 05:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Marlig Fix-A-Leak only works on small leaks, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" in size. I found a guy that developed a system of locating leaks in hot tubs. There are several videos on You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/user/abutters49/videos
The hot tubs are mostly Hot Springs but I don't see why his approach wouldn't work on all tubs.

Old 08-22-14, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
The videos in your links show the tubs up in the air on a fork lift.
How does that help when the unit is filled with water in the backyard ?

Old 08-22-14, 09:25 PM
The videos show the spas on a fork lift because that is the most efficient way to make the videos, and because that spa company has a lot of customers with leaky spas that they need fixed as quickly as possible.
The point is that the tubs can be tested and the leaks can be located without filling the spa. That's the big difference. Everyone else is looking for leaks in an immovable vessel filled with 2 tons of water.
So the unit in the back yard is not filled with water. It gets drained to locate the leak. Most people won't have a forklift but most do have the ability to tip the spa on end, or set it upon timbers to expose the underside. Then the plumbing can be pressurized while the tub is empty, and the leak can be located.

Old 08-22-14, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
That's if it's a plumbing leak and not a seal/gasket leak around a fitting.

Old 08-22-14, 10:12 PM
Yes it will also expose a leak at the gasket around the fitting, because most of your major spa manufacturers such as Hot Spring, Sundance, Marquis etc. place the gasket on the back side of the shell. The jets are plugged at the orifice, so the water pressure introduced into the plumbing acts exactly the same as if the spa were filled and running. Your assertion is correct if the leak were a static leak where water is escaping around the face of the jet body from the inside of the tub. I find and fix leaks in pools and spas every day. The type of leak you're describing is not very common in my experience although it definitely does occur.

Old 08-23-14, 09:58 AM
If the leaking heavily I would still think it may not be a big leak in a certain place but leakage spread out possibly throughout the foam. My Marlig Fix-A-Leak came in later today, and I will be trying it out.

Any and all suggestions on if it can be applied with just the pump on and no jets running, because it seems to leak more when the jets are running?

P.S. If memory servers me, I believe it even leaks when it is filled up with nothing running.

Old 08-23-14, 02:31 PM
Follow the directions on the bottle for how much time it takes for the product to work(or not). Remove your filter(s). If you have a jet pump with two speeds run it on low for the recommended time. If you have a circulation pump plus a single speed jet pump you'll have to run both to insure the water and the Fix a leak travels through all of the plumbing.
In my experience over the years that I sold that product in our store, it worked maybe for half of the people who tried it. And for those that it worked it was usually not permanent. They would report to us that the leak had started again after a year or so.
The directions I viewed on Marlig's website reads that the product will seal holes of up to 1/8" diameter. Good Luck.

Old 08-23-14, 04:56 PM
There are two knobs on the hot tub that you turn to shut off or increase the jet power. I believe that the directions for the Fix-A-Leak state to slowly pour the product by the surface skimmer, and suction fittings.

Should I do that with just the pump on, and the jets adjusted at a low speed as to
get the chemical running though the jets?

Remember there is heavier leaking with the jets running.

Old 08-24-14, 07:25 AM
Yes you should do that with the jet pump on low speed if it's a two speed pump. The fact that it leaks more on high speed would confirm that it is a pressure side leak. The two knobs that increase or decrease intensity are the air induction controls, and don't change the amount of water moving through the jets.