Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Low pressure for pool waterfall and skimmer, help!

Old 09-16-14, 10:36 AM

Hey all. So I moved into my first home 2 years ago and am finally getting around to resolving my water pressure issues. The basis of my set up is:
-Hayward 1.5hp pump (need to confirm but pretty sure 1.5hp)
-Hayward matching filter
-Non working Pool heater (just turned off)

As far as connections outputs and inputs
-Waterfall via the 'sheer descent'
-2 lion heads
-Misc jets around the pool

-Main drain
-Skimmer
-Side port for cleaner

So with that said, I turned off the main drain, and lowered the cleaner port as much as possible so I could get a good amount of suction going to my skimmer. On the output, I turned off the misc jets and have lowered the 2 lion heads so its just cracked open. Again this is to maximize the output on the waterfall

With that said, the suction at the skimmer still isnt to my liking, and the output on the water is also not to my liking.

Are there some things I need to check to see if there is something restricting the flow? Issue with the filter by chance? Could the non working pool heating be lessening the flow rates? Possibly changing some of the valves for the inputs/outputs? Or could be just be that 1.5hp isnt enough to power this things?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-14, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Since you've only mentioned one pump I would start with the filter. Make sure it's working properly; backwashed and any skimmers or strainers cleaned of debris. Also make sure there are no valve partially closed that are restricting the flow through the system. It does sound like there is some restriction in the system. Start at the beginning, the intakes, and work your way through the system (intakes, piping, valves, strainers, pump, filter, output valves, piping...) to make sure water can flow freely.

One thing you should not do is restrict the flow of water into the pump. I'm not sure what you're referring to as the "main drain" but on some pools there is an intake on the bottom of the pool for filtration and you generally want it open.

Old 09-16-14, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you have a lot of valves closed off.
Is there a pressure gauge on the system ?

Old 09-17-14, 06:26 AM
So this morning here is what I found out (pictures to come as well!).

With my original settings (main drain closed, 50/50 between skimmer and cleaner, jets off, a very small amount to lion heads, and 100% to waterfall), I was able to get the skimmer and cleaner working with some suction, lion heads were fine, and the waterfall worked, albeit a little low on the pressure side. I noted that the pressure in the filter was around 24psi

I then played with some of the valves to see what happened. If I opened the main drain 100% as well as the skimmer and cleaner 100% (so now nothing was blocked off on the intake side), I left all the outputs as listed above. Then the waterfall did seem to flow a little better, however my cleaner had NO suction power. I noted that the pressure when I did this was around 28psi

Even if I open the main drain 100% and close off the skimmer all the way, the cleaner still got no suction.

So now Im wondering...
-Should I open the main drain some of the way? 100%? Not at all? (and yes this main drain as its labeled is the single port at the bottom of the pool. I had turned this off since I was using my cleaner which sucked from the bottom of the pool)

-I have the option of putting my cleaner (Baracuda G2) inside my skimmer. This wouldnt be ideal though because I would lose my ability to skim. I suppose I could simply run the cleaner once or twice a week rather than everyday like I do now, and just keep moving it back and forth. Could be a PITA to manage though (im lazy).

I still havent opened the filter to check it. I do have a pool guy that comes weekly so I would think/hope he is checking this stuff but I will be sure to check this weekend when I have more time. Also I did already check the pumps filter basket and the skimmer basket. Fairly clean but I removed anything that was in there.

With that said, any thoughts? I did also take some pictures which I plan to post once I get a few extra minutes at work today. Thanks!

Old 09-17-14, 08:19 AM
Pics as promised

Name:  pool1.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  pool2.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  pool3.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  pool4.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  pool5.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  23.2 KB

Name:  pool6.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  pool7.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  pool8.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  pool9.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 09-21-14, 07:52 AM
just an update. As a test I went ahead and removed my filter cartridge to see if that was causing some of the 'low pressure' issues. Before removing this my pressure was 24psi. According to Hayward this is higher than ideal. They said when I remove the cartridge it should go down to 10psi or so.

Long story short, there was zero change in the pressure. Visually it did seem like the waterfall was flowing better though. So Im wondering if either
1. The pressure really is still that high which I would think means something is in my piping
2. My pressure gauge (although only a year old) is busted
3. Something else Im overlooking?

Thanks

Old 09-21-14, 09:58 AM
Oh and the fact that I have a pool heater in the mix, could that be contributing to a large pressure increase? The pool heater has not worked in at least 3 years (since I moved in). I unplugged the large fuse from the wall and its been OFF but obviously some of the piping goes through it.

Thanks

Old 09-22-14, 05:57 AM
I've had pressure gages be bad right out of the box. I would say it is bad if it did not change, I'd replace it. Give you cartridge a good soak in hot water and 2tbl cascade overnight then rinse good in the morning. I would also cut the heater loose from the system if not working and don't plan on fixing it. check to make sure your impellar is not filled with debris. You should be good to go...

Old 09-22-14, 10:13 AM
Thanks. Ill order a spare as well but Ill try that.

The impeller was replaced 6 months ago so probably not the issue but I can double check. Is there any other way to check the lines for blockage? I will say that when the pump first turns on, the pipes on the inlet side of the pump sound like little rocks in there. Im guessing this is just the sound water makes when its pressurized but maybe there is actually something in there

If I get a new filter, any thoughts on Unicel vs Pleatco?

Thanks

Old 10-01-14, 07:36 AM
I got the new gauge. It now shows 21psi. Not a big difference from 24psi but still nice thats its different. I have yet to remove the filter cartridge completely to see what it measures without the filter installed but will this weekend.

Thanks

Old 10-01-14, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Also keep in mind that basically everything hurts the pump's output and flow volume. The heater, filter cartridge, pipe length and fittings. 90 degree fittings are particularly hard on the flow volume as making the moving mass of water make the sharp turn consumes a surprising amount of energy. With such a cluster of piping and sharp bends visible I assume there's a fair bit buried that you can't see. It is possible that it just was not plumbed well and there is a lot of resistance in the piping.

Old 10-01-14, 09:49 AM
Good point. I have someone coming this week to look at the heatpump heater and see if they can fix on the cheap. If not, I will be throwing it out. With that, I will be redoing some of the piping, probably the piping from the pump to the filter and the filter to the first jandy valve.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make those 2 runs better? See picture below with current setup and water flow. I put Xs on 2 of the pipes since I never open them anyway. But the piping to change would be the ones more in the back of the picture. Thx

Name:  pool3b.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  36.3 KB