Need help with pool pump

Old 09-20-14, 11:32 PM
Question Need help with pool pump

I have a 1 HP MAGNETEK 2 Speed 115V Thru-Bolt Motor and a century 2 speed switch. The pump will run forever on low, but when you switch to high it cuts off after a bit. The longer it's been since you tried the longer it will run. If I have it on low and switch to high it will run from 5 seconds to 3 minutes before shutting off. I can switch back to low and it runs fine. After a few minutes I can switch back to high and it will run for a few seconds.

I live on a small island in micronesia and there are not a lot of service options. The pump is less than 2 years old, and I'd rather not buy a new one so soon. I've taken the impeller out and cleaned it. It seems to spin freely. I've also checked and cleaned the AC wires that connect to the back of the pump.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The pool could use a good vacuuming.

BN37 (AOSBN37) - 1 HP 2 Speed 115V Thru-Bolt Motor (BO27, Y1323, BN37) Ground
5271-73 (AST18313301) - Switch, Toggle-two Spd (motor Add-on) (18313301)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-14, 06:56 AM
when it shuts off is it very hot to the touch?

Old 09-21-14, 01:16 PM
It's hot, but I'm not sure it's hotter than normal. If it is, what would you suspect?

Old 09-21-14, 03:00 PM
there is a thermal cut off and it trips when gets too hot then resets when cool. A number of things can cause it. Bearings, drawing too many amps, motor vents are plugged with debris, struggle to pull water up hill. Check vents first, also take off back and check for debris.

Old 09-22-14, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the help. Question. If the cutout trips would it still work on low? Are there two, one for each speed? I've been ignoring that because it still runs on low.

Old 09-22-14, 02:52 PM
I'm assuming it is not tripping when on low because not generating as much heat as it would if on high?

Old 09-23-14, 01:30 PM
I've had an overheat before and if I remember correctly it wouldn't work on high or low after that until it cooled down. Right now when high doesn't work low still does.

I'll need to figure out how to check for blockage in the line.

THanks again.