Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pool pump motor hums on high speed startup

Old 03-02-15, 04:14 PM

This is a StaRite 2 speed, P6RA6YG-207L. Been working fine for 5-6 years. Now, when switched ON in HI speed, it will hum for about 5 seconds and clicks off. The breaker does not trip. On LOW speed, it will start right up. After running on LOW a while and shutting off...I will move to HI speed and turn on. It usually starts right up. So, when off for awhile... and on in HI.....that is when the hum starts.

I tried to reach in to turn the impeller thru the pump strainer but I need longer fingers. I took off the end cap to see about turning the shaft but it was blocked off by (I think) the centrifugal start switch.

I am too inept to remove both capacitors and test. Is this the most likely problem? I would guess bad bearings or windings could also be involved. How about a bad start switch?

I will call a pro shortly but my immediate question is: If pool switches on at night via the freeze control and the motor hums and hums and......... hums, will the motor burn up or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-15, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
It definitely sounds like a capacitor problem. If there are two there may be one for each speed. Capacitors are relatively inexpensive, as compared to the price of a motor, change them both.

The motor has a thermal overload switch in it. When the motor gets too hot the thermal switch disconnects power until the motor cools off and then it will restart. I wouldn't leave it run like that too long as the heat will eventually damage the windings.

Low speed is fine.... that pretty much eliminates bearings and start switch.

Old 04-11-15, 08:27 PM
A person who rebuilds pool motors says the windings are shot. Tried new start capacitor and new bearings.....no dice.

I talked to another pool store that sells/installs variable frequency pumps, i.e., Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP and also a US Motors Emerson EcoTech EVSJ3-NS. He said that these are OK, but just get a new two-speed motor and save some $$.

Sound right?

Old 04-11-15, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
I agree...... stay with a Hayward two speed.

Old 04-12-15, 07:37 AM
I agree with PJ, it sounds more like capacitor than windings. Did you replace the capacitor with a proper replacement? Did you test it? Could be bad out of the box???

Old 04-12-15, 08:16 AM
todrut.....the proper capacitor was used, so said AOSmith/Century. I did not personally test it, but the pool repair guy has been around for 20+ years, re-builds a lot of motors and has a good rep.

PJmax.....thanks for your input.

Old 04-19-15, 06:04 AM
We had a new 2-speed motor installed. AOSmith/Century #177456. Thanks for your help.