Whirlpool tub sealant recommendation

Old 04-05-15, 02:52 PM
Whirlpool tub sealant recommendation

Hopefully I'm asking in the correct forum. I removed the suction / intake on our whirlpool bathtub to repair a leak. With that done, I want to replace the intake but have a new problem with a very small amount of water leaking between the intake and the inside of the tub. I want to use silicone or latex of some sort (or a similar product) to create a tight seal. (There was either silicone or latex on the tub but I peeled it off.) Please suggest the correct product to use. I only want a product that is not an adhesive, in case I need to work on this further, and need something waterproof and mold resistant. Likewise, silicone strikes me as difficult to remove so I'm not sure that will work.

Suggestions, please.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-15, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Probably the proper thing would be a gasket if you want to remove it in the future. For everything else I use white solvent (stinky) based, mildew resistant silicone. It has some adhesive properties so depending on where you use it it can make removing parts slightly difficult but not impossible. For best sealing and adhesion make sure everything is absolutely clean and dry.

Old 04-05-15, 04:16 PM
Silicon seal (NOT silicone adhesive)

Old 04-06-15, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies. Dr Spa, I'm not certain what silicon seal is but it appears to be a ring - similar to a gasket. I don't know the manufacturer of my whirlpool so getting a part will be difficult. Does this come in a form that would allow me to modify it to my needs?

Old 04-06-15, 06:28 AM
It comes in a tube, you squeeze out.

Old 04-06-15, 07:55 AM
Hopefully this is not too basic. I can't find silicon tubes. My search brings up only silicon tubing. I can find plenty for silicone but not silicon. Perhaps you can offer a place to go or a brand.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-06-15 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 04-06-15, 10:15 AM
Ok, so I left off an "e". Go to any hardware store, Ask for siliconE seal.