Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Gap between pool side and vertical supports

Gap between pool side and vertical supports

Old 04-12-15, 11:09 AM
Question Gap between pool side and vertical supports

Hi everyone,

I'm not exactly sure how this happened, but our above ground pool was installed in 2009 and last winter, where we had extremely cold temperatures, the vertical supports on one side of the pool were a bit detached from the pool (about half an inch maybe).

Last Fall, because of that, I emptied the pool even more as I thought the sub-zero temperatures went deeper than usual and the extra ice had to expand to the sides, pushing the poles away. Well we had an extremely colder winter again... and now there is a gap between the pool side and the supports all around it. Not sure if it was water expansion or ground movement, but I'd like to know if it is potentially dangerous and what can be done to fix this.

My wife called the company that sold and installed it and of course they'll send someone to inspect it, and probably suggest to reinstall everything for $1,000 so I'm looking for more options!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-15, 06:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What type of brackets & bolts are used to connect the posts to the pool?

Old 04-13-15, 06:37 AM
I'll have to take a look tonight.

Old 04-13-15, 06:38 AM
is it still attached at the top and bottom tracks? Hard to tell from pictures. Is the wall in the bottom track?

Old 04-13-15, 03:20 PM
OK not sure about this one, but the brackets and pretty much everything except the screws, are all made out of plastic; I know they said it was good for a salt system when we purchased it. I couldn't get the shape or any specifics, although I wouldn't really know what to look for. If the first picture helps...

I attached another picture, as you'll notice, the gap is between the wall and the track; it actually seems that the pool itself has moved away from the poles or vertical supports because as far as I can tell when I remove the little stones, the track and the vertical supports are still attached together. On the other side there is no gap, but there is on 3/4 of the pool, the worse being on the opposite side of where there is no issue. This is probably the issue. I remember last Summer it looked like one side was lower than the other.

Edit: Sorry the first picture is on the wrong side; I can't find how to delete it so I won't re-upload.

Attached Images   
Old 04-13-15, 03:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What happens if you tighten the screws. Does it close the gap at all?

Old 04-17-15, 05:12 PM
No the screws are only for the plastic cap. So my wife called a guy and according to him we're not alone in this situation because of the two consecutive extremely cold winters we had.

He noticed the metal wall is outside of the track at the bottom and it should be an easy fix, however he must empty the pool and remove the liner to do so. He quoted $450 and he said he could possibly save the liner because it's only a few years old, otherwise it would have been another $350 for a new liner. The original installers didn't put blocks under the vertical posts, not sure if it would have helped considering the ground will usually freeze 12-18" deep under the snow cover.

So hopefully we'll have a great Summer and spend a lot of time in the pool, never fun to pay a few hundred dollars but in order to save the liner it's probably better to leave it to the pros.