Wiring perimeter lights on spa

Old 05-02-15, 05:54 AM
Wiring perimeter lights on spa

I have an old Laguna Bay hot tub with a Balboa pack. Laguna Bay went through several transitions and is now Dr. Wellness spas. (PLEASE no comments about the brands - I know much more now than when I bought the Laguna Bay used.)

Anyway, I got a service rep from Laguna Bay to fix a couple broken things and at the same time purchased and had him install perimeter lights. He said that they could be wired into the pack where the LED was wired, and they would then come on and off and have the same colors as the LED light. He installed them but never returned calls to come out and wire them. I now know why.

The perimeter lights made by Dr. Wellness have DIN plugs and are wired together into a series of 4-plug connectors. Most importantly, however, is that these lights are FOUR WIRE lights.

The Balboa pack has TWO WIRE connection to the LED. When I called a different company's service tech, he could not wire the lights and again just never came back. When I looked inside at everything - that's when I found the four wire/two wire discrepancy.

My question is this: Is there any way to wire the new perimeter lights with their four wires together with the existing two wire light connector provided in the Balboa pack?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-15, 05:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
My question is, are both the 2 wire & 4 wire connectors low voltage? It sounds as if there are converters, in both of them.

Old 05-03-15, 03:19 AM
Low voltage?

The Balboa pack has a plug that the main two-wire LED plugs into. It is delivering low voltage current to that light; thus, the converter is internal to the Balboa pack.

The new lights are simply lights with wires with a DIN plug at the end. There are several splitters as described originally, but they are not converters, just splitters.

I can only assume from the small guage of the wires that the pin point lights are expecting low voltage. Since the lights are apparently those used in new Dr. Wellness spas, if I had the Dr. Wellness spa, I suspect I'd have whatever pack they put on those spas, which would be delivering 12 volts via a DIN plug for its lighting system.

So 12 volts to answer your question. Thanks for helping!!!

Old 05-03-15, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Your original LEDs were connected with two wires. Did they change colors ?
If they did.... then the mechanism for color change was somewhere in the LED strip.

It sounds like your new LED strips are set up as RGB controllable.

Can you see the colors of the new wires ?

If you see red, green, blue and possibly a black wire..... you can make the LED's light but not change color without a low voltage controller.

Old 05-04-15, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forums.
-- Thanks - you all are VERY friendly!!!

Your original LEDs were connected with two wires. Did they change colors ?
If they did.... then the mechanism for color change was somewhere in the LED strip.
-- The original single LED does change colors, flowing from one to another. If you press the light button on the control panel, it freezes the color to the displayed one. It's not a strip, but one large LED. And I believe the mechanism for the color change is in the Balboa pack, since there's basically a plug with two wires that go directly to the LED.

It sounds like your new LED strips are set up as RGB controllable.
Can you see the colors of the new wires ?
If you see red, green, blue and possibly a black wire..... you can make the LED's light but not change color without a low voltage controller.

The new LEDs are about a dozen pinpoint LEDs - there's no LED strip involved. I will need to take it apart again to see the colors, because I thought there was a yellow wire. But my big question is which of the four wires do I splice to the two wires going to the LED?

Yesterday, 06:19 AM

Old 05-04-15, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

To avoid confusion please use quotes when quoting someone else. In Quick Reply it is the last icon, looks like a cartoon speech bubble. Click that icon and paste what you want to quote inside the quote tags.

Name:  snapshot26.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  11.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-04-15 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
What 4 colors do you see on the DIN plug that plugs into the spa pack ?
Do you have a link or model number for those LED's as they are not listed in the current product line ?

Old 05-06-15, 05:13 AM
Thanks to everyone!

I was able to contact the manufacturer of the lights I was sold. They no longer make that type, and have experimented trying to get that type of light to work with more modern systems, and have failed. They pretty much persuaded me that it's a losing proposition to try and get these lights to work; instead, I will be better served by purchasing a new set of lights and the requisite controllers.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me with this!