Pool pump problem

Old 05-13-15, 07:27 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool pump problem

My pool pump has been working fine, but when I turned it on today, the motor hummed for 4-5 seconds, then shut off.

I thought maybe the impeller was clogged, but that was not the case.

I tried again - spinning the impeller by hand as soon as I gave it power, and it ran fine.

I cut the power then restarted it without hand-spinning the impeller, but the pump hummed, the impeller did not spin, then the pump shut down.

Ideas welcome.

Old 05-13-15, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,400 Votes on 1,297 Posts
The pump is not starting so it's shutting down on thermal overload.

Pool filter pumps have a mechanical centrifugal switch that can become corroded and stop working properly. Which pump are you using there ? Post the info and I'll pull up an exploded view.

A typical switch and mechanism......

Name:  cs.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  22.5 KB

Old 05-14-15, 07:37 AM
T
Thanks

Here is the model info. It is a Haywood pump, approx. 3 years old.

I spun the impeller by hand just now with the power on and the motor runs fine. But when I turn it off, then on again, it still shuts down.

Attached Images  
Old 05-14-15, 08:31 AM
D
Bad start capacitor.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 25 characters.

Old 05-14-15, 11:18 AM
T
Dr. Spa

Is there a way to test the start capacitor- without any serious test equipment or having it explode or whatnot.

I see the following unit was used successfully on a pool pump - A.O. Smith 1 HP pool pump motor. It is dirt cheap - $7.00. Should I just get one, install it and see if the problem is solved...

http://www.amazon.com/Packard-110-12...rds=610807-002

Attached Images   
Old 05-14-15, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
It can be tested with a capacitor checker. It's fairly easy to change. I'm not sure if that is the insides of your motor but different size motors use different sized caps so be sure to check the rating on yours before replacing.

Your cap should be a BC-161 or a 610807 002. You can search for those part numbers to find a direct replacement.

Old 05-14-15, 10:06 PM
D
What P J said. At $7, just replace it.

Old 05-18-15, 07:06 AM
D
Make sure you discharge the installed one before you mess with it. Short it with a screwdriver between the two terminals. Good habit to always do this even on new ones. The do pack quite a "knock you on your butt" punch when charged

Old 05-22-15, 12:44 PM
T
Still will not work

I finally got a chance to install the new capacitor.

Unfortunately, it makes no difference.

I can switch the pump on, but have to rotate the impeller by hand to get it started, and then the motor runs fine. If I am too slow with the hand rotating, the thermal switch shuts it down.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-15, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Does the motor have a centrifugal start switch ?
Is so.... it needs to be checked for continuity. It may be burned and need cleaning.

Old 05-23-15, 05:20 AM
T
PJ,
My problem is exactly the same as Tom's (the description of my problem was moved to another thread).

Tom, I have the exact same motor (about 7 years older though) that died when yours did from what sounds like the same problem. I took the pump apart yesterday afternoon, cleaned it of any debris, and put it back together. Mine still needs to be push started with a power drill to get it to run. Once started, it runs like a champ. However, the motor housing gets pretty freakin hot despite water moving through the pump. Given how corroded my pump is, I bet PJ is correct. As for me, I'm probably going to buy a new motor today given the age of mine and the fact that I think I have more than one issue going one. Good luck with yours!

Old 05-23-15, 07:30 AM
T
@pjm

Hi:

The contacts on the part circled are what you are referring to, I think. They look like new.

Please confirm.

@ Tarhealer. Thanks for the good luck comment. I might need it...

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: