Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Bulb replacement for Jandy color pool light

Old 07-24-15, 10:20 AM

Light contains 8 white bulbs (MR-16 EYC) that according to the owners manual are 75W. Can't tell if they are 12v or 120v, as the manual lists both. from what I can see, the bulbs are the push-in type with 2 pins. Wherever I look online, I see several different types, some with clear covers on the bulb, others no cover, different wattages/voltage, etc. The pool company that installed my pool doesn't even stock them, and sells them for over $20 each. I found a local electric supply store who has them for under $5 each. Before I purchase, any way of knowing if the push-ins are the correct bulbs? Ideally I don't want to pull the bulb housing until I have the replacement bulbs in hand. However, it would be nice to have the old bulb in my hand to ensure purchasing correct replacement.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-15, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
The 120v light does not require an external transformer while the 12vdc model will have a transformer that needs to be connected and should be clearly visible.

The bulbs are 12v. Both lights use the same 8 bulbs. 12 Volt 75 Watt MR-16 EYC/60
Make sure you have a replacement lens gasket too. (Part number R0451101)

One link I was looking at. Can't tell how many bulbs are in the kit. It would appear to be 8. Also a deal to purchase gasket with the bulbs.
Zodiac-R0451600-75-Watt-Replacement-JandyColors/dp/B008E6JP6M

Old 07-27-15, 10:12 AM
Pete,

I picked up the bulbs, 4 of them, for 4.30 each. Seem to be the right bulb, will find out when I pull the fixture out.

Regarding gasket replacement, some say replace, others say not necessary. Guess it can't hurt to be safe, but as of now I do not have a new gasket.

I checked out the link you posted, it's for 2 bulbs....crazy at that price. But the pool store did say they also sell for full retail, about $25/bulb.

The light fixture appears to be pretty far down in the deep end, will I be able to remove from outside the pool, or will I have to remove from in the water??

Thanks.

Old 07-27-15, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
The light fixture appears to be pretty far down in the deep end, will I be able to remove from outside the pool, or will I have to remove from in the water??
I don't know...... how long are your arms.

You will probably have to go into the water. You will definitely have to go into the water to reinstall as the wire is rolled up behind the light in a niche. There should be enough wire to bring the fixture up to the deck to work on it.

Sorry about the useless link. I thought maybe it was for 8 bulbs.
The prices for those bulbs is all over the place. I don't know if there is a difference between the different brands.

You said you picked up 4. Your aren't changing them all at the same time ?

Don't test fixture out of the water..... or if you do.... limit to a few seconds. The water keeps the fixture cool.