Hot Tub Tripping RCD

Old 08-14-15, 02:13 PM
Hot Tub Tripping RCD

Hi all

First post on here so apologies if I am posting in the wrong section. This seemed the appropriate one.

Okay, So I have a hot tub. Had it for a fair few years now and always been reliable.

A couple of nights ago I went out to the tub and noticed that it was off..

I went to the RCD and noticed that it was turned off. The temp of the water was indicating around 34 degrees. (default 35) I turned the power back on, the filter system engaged and pump engaged. When it called for heat then it tripped again.

The cable from the hot tub to the RCD is in good condition and continuity tested. The terminals are tight on the tub.

I took off the panel to access the circuit board today and disconnected the heater element from the circuit board. Turned the RCD back on and the hot tub works fine, both pumps run and lighting also works as per normal. As soon as you plug the heater element in the RCD trips.

I then drained the hot tub and removed the pipe which houses the element. It was evident that there was a lot of corrosion running down the main frame of the electrical box housing, due to a poor seal by the looks of it.

I un-done the 10mm nuts holding the element wires on, they were severly corroded and ended up snapping the element core on both sides.

I now have the element out and have continuity tested it and it seems normal to me. No open circuit....

Next question is, What is my next step?

Thanks for advice

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 02:59 PM
Replace the element.

additional characters to reach the minimum 25.

Old 08-14-15, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You aren't interested in element continuity for a GFI tripping problem. You're interested in a short between one of the terminals and ground.

I un-done the 10mm nuts holding the element wires on, they were severly corroded and ended up snapping the element core on both sides.
With what you've described..... replace the element.