Replacing an old pool light

Old 09-05-15, 03:15 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing an old pool light

I am having a dilema installing a light in a pool at a home I recently purchased. When I bought the house there was no light, just (part of) a fixture sitting on the deck. Thought wouldn't be a problem to install one, not the case.

Turns out there is an old, no longer supported, niche in the pool. A Sta-Rite (model 5068-17). It's only 8" in diameter.

Please see these pictures of the niche:

This is how I found it when I bought the house, no light.

Whatever this is on the deck pulled up from the niche.

No tab/screw hole at the top to screw light into niche

No clip at bottom

Tab for screw is mostly broken and is not a part of the niche??

You can see there is nothing making for a screw hole at the top to screw a new light fixture in. Also missing is the clip at the bottom to hold up the light fixture. I guess I am missing that part of the niche. I don't know what to do.

Use two light wedges, one at top and one at bottom? I guess if I were to do that, the one on bottom wouldn't have a screw, it would just be "sitting" there, supporting the light on the bottom. Do you have any recommendations?

Old 09-05-15, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
The wedge system is about all that's available at this time.

I had seen what I thought was a removable metal ring in several lights I'd worked on but I've never seen it available as a replacement part.

You can drill into the fixture and add your own clip as the wet niche fixture is encapsulated in cement. It's not easy but do-able.You'd need a right angle drill and a stainless steel bracket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: