New pool pump - no pressure

Old 09-22-15, 02:04 PM
New pool pump - no pressure

First off, thank you. I always find what I need here. Or at least am out in the right direction. I just bought a new hayward pump for my inground pool. The other one worked fine all season but burned out at the end. When I replaced it and turned it on I was not able to build up pressure at all. It makes no sense to me. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-15, 03:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Does it have to be primed or bled? Are you sure that the inlet/outlet are facing in the right direction?

Old 09-22-15, 03:19 PM
100% sure it's wired correctly.
Reason I ask is some pumps can be 120/220.
If you have the jumpers set to 220 and try to run it with 110 it's not going to work.

Old 09-22-15, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Is the pump higher than the water level or lower ?

If the pump is higher, like normal, the water will not be at the pump and it will need to be primed. Pour a bucket of water in the filter basket cleanout. Try running pump again.

If after a minute to a minute and a half.... no water..... prime it again. You don't want the pump seal to burn up.

A problem that I've seen on more than one occasion is a small leak on the input side to the pump. If you have a small leak on that side of the pump it may never prime. While trying to get the pump to start..... pour water over the pump input fittings. If you get prime then... you know you have a leak.