Polaris 380 pool vac hose gets tangled

Old 10-12-15, 09:27 AM
Polaris 380 pool vac hose gets tangled

...worse in cold water than in warm water. I have fooled with float adjustments and think swivels are ok (might get some new ones)...to no avail.

Have read about a "soft" lead hose that might replace existing one. This Polaris is 7-8 years old.

Is cold water a insurmountable problem ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-15, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Usually the problem is that the floats aren't holding the hose up properly.

I've seen one novel approach.... get one of those swimming noodles and cut 2" pieces, slice them lengthwise and put them over the hose as additional float supports.

Old 10-15-15, 05:51 AM
Hi PJ....swimming season is about over in our area and noodles are hard to find. I will get some however. I did have some foam 1/2" pipe insulation and tried small pieces. Not working all that well.

Think I will cut longer pieces, one foot + and see if that will keep the hose from tangling.

Old 10-16-15, 06:43 AM
I found 5' pieces of 1-1/2" FunNoodle at WalMart for $1.66 each and bought 4. Installed a 3' piece and a 2' piece and it helped somewhat. All my floats have been adjusted and they do not look like the drawings of how floats should be spaced.

I might remove some floats as the noodles bump into them and hang up. This should be interesting. Too inept to post pics.

This is closed cell material. Do you think it would make good cold weather pipe insulation?

Old 10-16-15, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think how they look is important.
The problem as I remember it is if the hose doesn't stay floating then it sinks and gets tangled.

Old 10-17-15, 08:55 AM
Our problem is cold water temps. During the summer, the hose does not tangle as much... as during the winter. Pool is about 75-80 in summer and now it is 60 degrees. Our hose always floats but it is so stiff it is not flexible enough to untangle....as it does (sometimes) in the summer.

Old 10-17-15, 10:35 AM
I forgot to mention that the Polaris has a separate pump and that we usually run the 2-speed pool pump on low speed. When pool pump on high speed...the Polaris has more get-up-and-go...and the hose will pull out of tangles...better.

Old 11-02-15, 05:48 AM
Update.....I have added and subtracted both long and short pieces of noodles. Also moved some floats and removed one. Added a swivel. It is working a LOT better. It does tangle, but unlike the old days.....it will untangle on its own and do what it is supposed to do.

Too inept to attach a photo. The hose is about one foot too long. I will see about cutting off one foot so it can stretch full length occasionally.

Old 03-04-16, 01:54 PM
UPDATE....Four months later, it still works great. Even in 46 degree water. No tangles.

Here is a written diagram: After wall fitting, 8 inches of hose to a swivel; then 20" to a float; then 14" to two floats and 24" of pool noodle and another float, all back to back; then 32" to a swivel and 7" of pool noodle, back to back; then 35" to a swivel; then 50" to two floats, back to back; then 6" to a swivel; then 6" to a float; then 10" to a float; then 7" to the back-up valve; and finally, 22" to the Polaris.

Thanks, PJ for the pool noodle suggestion.