Hot tub OH error

Old 09-07-16, 01:39 PM
Hot tub OH error

I just replaced the pump on my Freeflow hot tub. It worked fine for about a week and now I am getting an "OH" error. The water is not hot enough to trip the sensors and the water seems to be flowing through the jets fine. If i unplug it and re try it, it runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. I know clogged filters can cause this so I tried it without the filter and it still gets that reading. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-16, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
How old is the tub ?

It sure sounds like a water flow issue. The heater can overheat very quickly with reduced flow.

Old 09-07-16, 04:04 PM
its about 10 years old. I am in southern california.

Old 09-08-16, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
What type of high limit does the spa have? Has this problem slowly gotten worse over time (like the OH tripping becoming more frequent)?

While I would still suspect a water flow problem I have seen the thermostats that have a copper bulb and long thin copper tube fail with age. I don't know if the copper hardens or shrinks age. Over time their trip point creeps down until it infringes on the spa's normal operating temperature causing it to trip when nothing is wrong with the spa. Replacing the high limit thermostat takes care of the problem.

Old 09-09-16, 09:59 AM
It worked fine until about a week after I replaced the pump. When I turn it on most of the time the spa will start up and read the correct temperaure. after a few minutes it will start jumping up and get to 108 and the OH error will appear (sometimes it won't even start, it goes directly to the oh error) . I even tried taking the sensor out of the heating tube and testig it directly in the spa and the same thing happened.