Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Is it okay to connect a water pump to a hot tub drain hose for faster draining?

Old 10-24-16, 03:26 PM

My in house hot tub has a draining outlet at the bottom. It takes a really long time to drain all the water. I was water if I can connect a water pump to this draining outlet and pump out the water to a drainage pipe in the basement. If it's okay, what type of water pump do you guys recommend?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-16, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
It can work if you match the size of your pump to the spa drain's ability to supply water. Pumps can be restricted on their output side but they don't like a restriction on their inlet. I use a pump to drain mine but drop the pumps suction hose into the spa and that quickly gets 95% of the water then I use the spa's drain to get the last little bit.

Old 10-24-16, 05:50 PM
I have a small 1/3hp submersible pump that I connect a garden hose to and just drop it into my spa when I want a quick drain vs the gravity drain you are using. Big box stores carry them!

Old 10-24-16, 07:54 PM
My question is, I do not want to use the submersible water pump since it was built into the house, it's hard to run the hose outside or to a bathroom. Therefore, I was thinking of using the hot tub's draining outlet to pump out the water instead of letting gravity do the work so that it's faster. And if this does not break anything I would like to pursue this route; however, I am not sure which water pump would allow me to do this without submersing the pump into the hot tub.

Old 10-24-16, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
We'd need to see what connections you are working with there. Pictures would be helpful.
They do make inline pumps that have 3/4" garden hose fittings on them.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Something like this... Wayne Self-Priming Transfer Water Pump 3/4in. Ports

Old 10-25-16, 05:00 AM
It's a garden hose connections. My agent has done it before by connecting a regular garden hose to the outlet and drain it after we tested the hot tub to verify if it works or not. Thus, I was wanted to use a pump so that it's faster and perhaps leave the pump there permanently so when it comes to draining the hot tub, I just have to flip a switch to drain it.

Old 10-25-16, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
I would not permanently install a pump for draining. It's one more source of a leak, one more mechanical thing to fail and installing it permanently would require a circuit and proper wiring for safe use in the wet environment next to a spa. And, since you'd still be discharging through a garden hose you'll only speed it up so much.

Old 10-25-16, 06:16 AM
Thank you for the input. If I understand self-priming pump correctly, most pump are use for pulling water up; however, in my case, I'm pulling water down. The hot tub is on the main floor and I'm accessing the draining outlet from the basement. Therefore, I'm pulling water down instead of up. Will this work with the self-priming pump?

Old 10-25-16, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Yes....the water will gravity feed to prime the pump.

Old 10-25-16, 09:34 AM
Awesome! Thank you so much for all the responses.

Old 10-25-16, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
If your pump is located below the spa you do not need a self priming pump. You can use a pump that requires priming but since the pump is located below the water level it will self prime. And as an added bonus non-self priming pumps are more efficient.

Old 10-25-16, 12:03 PM
What's the difference between a prime and none-prime pump then?

Old 10-31-16, 06:01 PM
A self priming pump will pump the air out of itself and begin pumping ware. A non-self priming pump will NEVER pump the air out of itself and will NEVER start pumping water.

However, this doesn't mean a self priming pump "pulls" water. Almost NO pump PULLS water. They're all designed to PUSH water out of them. That is the design of a pump. They push, not pull.

Why not simply open the drain in the evening, go to bed, and when you wake in the morning it'll be empty?

Old 10-31-16, 06:52 PM
Why not simply open the drain in the evening, go to bed, and when you wake in the morning it'll be empty?
Yes, I should have thought of that before I purchased the pump since I will only need to drain once every three months.

Old 11-01-16, 01:37 AM
Honestly you dont need a pump, since you have the drain feature just hook up a hose run to your drain, turn the light off and in the morning it will be empty.

As noted I only use a pump on my spa when I'm trying to drain and fill before nighttime sets in.

If I didn't already have that pump I would not wast $ buying one.

Krap, I see others stated the exact same, my bad!!