Vacuumed up the thermometer :-(

Old 11-07-16, 08:49 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vacuumed up the thermometer :-(

Hi - while cleaning the pool recently I unknowingly vacuumed up the 'cigar-sized' thermometer. I tried to snake it out but had no luck. There is still pretty good suction from the vacuum line - but it is perhaps half as strong as normal. We happened to have a plumber at the house on Saturday - he looked at the situation and said - just let it be. In time the suction will break the thermometer and it will be caught in the filter basket.

We have a multi-port valve on the filter. Do any of those setting reverse the flow such that I could blow the thermometer back into the pool ?

Any thoughts / ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-16, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
Unfortunately the multi port valve does many things but it won't send water back down the suction line.

Is this an inground pool ?
Do you plug the vacuum line into the skimmer ?
What is the year and make of the pool ?

Old 11-07-16, 09:54 AM
L
The pool is a kidney-shaped in ground pool - probably about 20 years old - and probably built by a bunch of local Mexicans (who do good work by the way). The pool has a separate line on the side of the pool for the vacuum line, along with a main drain and 2 skimmers.

I had a similar problem in Florida where a thorny palm frond got sucked into the vacuum line, and hung up in a 90 degree bend. There it was a relatively simple task of digging up the lawn, finding the bend and cutting the PVC. Here I don't have that luxury as there is a pretty wide stone pool deck and the PVC runs under there.

I was thinking of taking a 5 ft or so piece of re-bar, bending the tip to form an L and trying to see if I could fish the thermometer out. The plastic housing of the thermometer was really pretty sturdy. You could certainly stand on it without breaking it.

The gardener - who is also a handyman came up with two ideas. The simplest was to put a pump on the poolside end of the vacuum line and trying to suck out the thermometer. The other was to cut the PVC (in the pool room) and connect the filter return to the incoming vacuum line. That would not be as simple as it may sound because the incoming lines are hard set in concrete.

Old 11-07-16, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
I know what you're facing. I work on pools plus I have 40 year old 20'x40'x9'deep inground Sylvan pool. My vacuum line plugs into the skimmer which cuts off that skimmer as well as its associated bottom drain.

I had a Fisher Price weebel (remember weebels wobble but they don't fall down) caught in a 90 bend in the shallow suction line. I have air ports on my lines for when I blow out the lines for winter. I set my multiport valve to close and sent a shot of compressed air into the suction lines. That was enough to dislodge it.

Name:  weebles.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  5.7 KB

Old 12-08-16, 07:25 AM
L
Got it out ! First we tried the gardener's extra pool pump and tried to suck the thermometer out. after about an hour we gave up on that.

Later we had some metal workers at the house doing some work. The one guy is very resourceful. He came up with perhaps a 15 ft length of 1/4" flexible wire and he bent the tip in an L shape about 1" in length. I put my wet suit on and hoped in the pool. The wire only went into the PVC perhaps 2-3 ft and when I pulled it out (after about 1 minute) out came the thermometer !