Pool Leak Source

Old 03-21-17, 07:06 AM
Pool Leak Source

I have a plaster pool with the water level going down about 2" per day for a few weeks now. I have a few cracks but I dye tested(using food coloring) and no dye was getting sucked in. I also put dye near the main drain and did not see any suction.

Drop continued after going below skimmer and return line level. Yesterday, water level reached about mid point of light fixture. I noticed there appears to be water behind the light glass that is about 3" above the pool level. I previously dye tested around the fixture with no noticeable suction. I did not pull the fixture out when doing this. I read somewhere that the fixture may need to be pulled out to properly test this.

Does this indicate that the leak is at the light fixture?

Also, I am concerned about where the water is going and possible damage. My lot is on a grade where water would naturally go downhill away from my house. My neighbor below me has not noticed any water leaking onto her property. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-17, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
The pool light is in a wet niche where it is surrounded by water. It is possible that water got into the actual lighting fixture but that isn't the leak.

If the leak is coming from the light it would usually be the conduit that comes in the back of the niche that is leaking.

You can take the light out of the niche. There should only be one or two screws holding it in place. It should have enough cable rolled up behind it to allow it to sit up on the deck. Then you can look in and check the conduit fitting.

They make a rubber plug that will work in some applications and if not you can use a waterproof epoxy.

Name:  niche.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  18.8 KB

Old 03-21-17, 10:51 AM
Thanks for quick reply. I will do that later today and update post.

Old 03-21-17, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
I forgot to ask... how old is the pool ?

Old 03-21-17, 11:06 AM
Name:  pool.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  33.5 KB

Here is a picture of my fixture showing the water level inside the fixture above the pool level. What would cause this?

Last edited by PJmax; 03-21-17 at 11:26 AM. Reason: reoriented/enlarged picture
Old 03-21-17, 11:09 AM
Sorry the picture came out sideways. House built in '62. Plaster surface was well worn when I bought house in '99. Located in Los Angeles area. Thanks.

Old 03-21-17, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
I have a Sylvan plaster pool installed in 1970.

I'm guessing the light is still working ?
Some of those fixtures use a lens over a sealed beam like a car headlight. So that it could get water in it but the bulb was still sealed.

Old 03-22-17, 05:11 AM
Is the pool leaking when running? and turned off?

Old 03-30-17, 06:16 PM
Sorry for delay in responding. Got too busy at work. Appreciate you responding to this.

Pulled light. Please see photos. No obvious crack. Pool level drop significantly slowed at mid-point of light and stopped where sits in photos(approx 1" above bottom of light). Would slowing of leak occur as level gets close to source because of less pressure? Does presence of dirt behind light indicate leak? Also included photo of loose material I pulled from bottom of light hole.Name:  1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  34.5 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  32.8 KB

Appreciate any insights on this. Thanks.

Old 03-30-17, 06:20 PM
Also, photos of fixture. Looks like some water inside. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  32.4 KBName:  6.jpg
Size:  25.5 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  19.0 KBName:  8.jpg
Size:  27.4 KB