Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pool over buried drain pipe

04-18-17, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Pool over buried drain pipe

I have a new construction home with a sump pump draining to a sewer system in back of lot running diaginal from house. This was burried a couple feet down during construction.

There was about a foot of soil added to grade the lot, so it was added after pvc was burried already. Where I want the pool seems to sit right over this area. We will need to dig down less than a foot at the high side to level the area, pretty much taking back off the added black dirt.

Under about 6 to 8 inches of the black dirt is hard clay soil. Will there be any worries of the pvc green pipe collapsing from the pool? It's a 24ft by 52 inch high pool.

I would think if a huge dump truck drove over it and other large equipment to grade the lot, it should be fine.. as the trench is probably 6 to 8 inches wide.. so it would be 8inches by 52 inches by 12 inches of volume evenly spread for 24ft.... figure that's about 180lbs per linear foot of weight...

Does anyone know how deep these pipes usually sit? And how much gravel then dirt is used?

Idk, just looking for other's opinion, and mostly experience.. of a few foot burried pvc pipe collapsing due to a swimming pool.

Thanks.

Last edited by Eaglei22; 04-18-17 at 02:03 PM.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

04-18-17, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Hopefully the green PVC pipe is Sch. 40. The 40 determines the wall thickness.

Sch 20 would be very thin and flimsy while sch 40 is fairly robust.
Sch 80 would be as heavy duty as metal pipe in that application.

Usually the drain line is buried below the frost level. So a few feet deep would be about normal and should hold up ok. Depending on who actually did the work it would be doubtful to see any gravel. The biggest plus is no large rocks buried with the pipe that could puncture it.

~ Pete ~

04-18-17, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Name:  20160923_183732.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.1 KBName:  20170413_192505.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  9.2 KB

Thanks! Hopefully it's the schedule 40 at least. I will measure when i get home the pipe wall thickness above ground (assuming this is the same used that's burried )

Above are some pictures. One happens to be a picture of thr thickness i took when trying to snap a shot on my phone to see how deep it goes.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

04-18-17, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)  
The schedule number should be printed on the pipe. I can;t see anything on what is in your picture,

04-18-17, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Did not see any numbers on my pipe. I did measure the thickness and it was a little less than a 1/4 inch thick.. This is the one going into the ground, the other one (buried horizontally) may be thicker I guess. I did walk around the subdivision to look at some of the other houses under development hoping I could catch one laid but not buried yet; no luck.

I did see one with a little writing on it. The writing was underground a little, but what I was able to see, it said, ..."M10.42" 4" pipe.

Search this Thread