Long vacation spa treatment

Old 07-19-17, 12:10 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Long vacation spa treatment

Is it best to drain all the water in the hot tub out if we're going on a three weeks of vacation?

Old 07-19-17, 12:37 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
In the summer you could heavily douse with chlorine/bromine, close it up and shut off power to save a few $.

Would just leave running if winter!

Old 07-19-17, 05:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
What water treatment/filtration system does your spa have?

If you have ozone, UV, salt, silver ion... you could squeak by with a heavy shocking before you leave then shock when you get home and see how it goes. You can also use a floating chemical dispenser.
Many are good for two weeks or more. If you don't have any of the "maintenance reducing" systems then I'd definetely drain it.

I have ozone and silver ion and drain mine when I'm going to be gone for three weeks. One week is a no brainer to keep it filled. Two weeks works well with shocking before and after. I've never tried going three weeks or more without draining.

If you do decide to keep it filled I would not turn off the power. You want to leave the filtration system running. Turning the heater off/down would be a big help as heat as cooler water will help it last longer.

Old 07-20-17, 01:37 PM
C
Thanks, guys! I only have those chlorine/bromine tablets in the filter. I'm leaning towards draining the hot tub. However, by draining, I should wipe everything dry right or else it'll mold?

Old 07-20-17, 03:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Drain the spa and sponge or towel out any remaining water. Don't forget to get the water out of the filter chamber and if you have a moving back massager that usually has a big reservoir as well. Remove and clean the filters. Leave the cover off so everything can dry well.

Does your spa turn on the main jet pump for filtration or do you have a smaller filtration pump that runs continuously? If you have a small filtration pump and it's got a bit of age they can stick if they sit for a while with the spa drained. Just pay attention for it when you re-start the spa so you don't burn out the heater.

Old 07-20-17, 05:01 PM
Three months I could see draining, 3 weeks you are simply wasting time and water, just power it down and have a nice trip. It will be there waiting when you get back.

Old 07-23-17, 07:07 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A shock and leave it be will be fine for three weeks, probably much longer as long as the unit is covered to prevent algal growth, and the chlorine itself will not degrade very quickly if not exposed to the sun (and if there is not much organic material in the water to begin with, the organic material chews up the chlorine). Turn the heat off, I would probably turn off the filter too, after letting the shocked water circulate for a while to ensure the standing water in the whole system is sufficiently chlorinated.

Old 07-24-17, 04:48 AM
C
A shock and leave it be will be fine for three weeks, probably much longer as long as the unit is covered to prevent algal growth, and the chlorine itself will not degrade very quickly if not exposed to the sun (and if there is not much organic material in the water to begin with, the organic material chews up the chlorine). Turn the heat off, I would probably turn off the filter too, after letting the shocked water circulate for a while to ensure the standing water in the whole system is sufficiently chlorinated.
Seems like this is a pretty solution since I do not have time to do all the cleaning before I leave now. Okay, so how do I "shocked" the water? What's the process? What does it involves? Thank you.

Old 07-24-17, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
You have a spa and don't know how to shock the water? Isn't that part of your weekly maintenance? Just follow your manufacturers shock recommendation. It usually involves a larger dose of chlorine. The amount depends on the size/gallons of your spa.

Old 07-24-17, 05:49 AM
Seriously, this is really a no brainer, I sometimes go several weeks between uses of my spa with no ill effect.

Shocking the spa is nothing more than throwing in a larger than normal dose of chlorine, double it up latch down the cover, turn it off or leave it on.

Old 07-25-17, 12:42 PM
C
Thanks! I just bought the house last November and didn't really use it. I just purchased a bunch of bromine tablets, put in the tubes that goes inside filter, turn on the amount that I need and that's it. I have those little test strips to test if the water is good to into the hot tub or not. That's all I know. By the way, the hot tub has a cover and is inside the house. That is another concern. What if during that time something leaks? But we haven't had any leaking issue since last November...just one thing to be concerned about.

Old 07-25-17, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Inside the house is even better as far as stability.

Pretty hard for us to address the "what if it leaks" scenario.
If that is a valid concern then your only choice is to empty it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: