Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Kohler whirlpool tub wall mounted control pad doesn't work.

Old 07-26-17, 09:02 PM

I have a 1983 Kohler Pristine Whirlpool tub (Model K-772). It's a cast iron jetted tub. The wall mounted control pad (sets the timer for the jets & turns pump on and off) has stopped working and the parts for this tub are discontinued. The pump still works, but I can't turn it off from the control pad. I was wondering if I could wire the pump so that it is controlled by a light switch instead of the Kohler control panel (model #60350). I'm trying to avoid having to replace the tub, but I keep hitting dead ends each time I try to replace a part on this tub. Kohler doesn't have any replacement parts. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-17, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Moved to Spas and Hot Tubs.

Old 07-26-17, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Does the pump run with no water in it ?
If yes.... it's more than a controller problem.

There is a solid state relay in the tub control box. It may be shorted on.

Here's a link to your tub and wiring. We'll work off this so download it if you don't have it.
KOHLER/pdf/OM-S_105582_0483.pdf

Old 07-26-17, 09:35 PM
Yes, it does run without water. As soon as you plug the circuit panel into the wall the motor starts running.

Old 07-26-17, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Does the panel light up like it's getting power ?
Does the LED countdown ?

Old 07-26-17, 09:58 PM
It appears to have a short because the lights flash off and on & only part of the 2nd # lights up.

Old 07-26-17, 11:21 PM
Group Moderator
Terminology correction:
It appears to have a short because the lights flash off and on & only part of the 2nd # lights up.
More likely an open not short. Short refer to a near zero resistance path to the other side of the circuit. Open is no connection to the other side of the circuit. Shorts usually blow fuses or trip breakers. Open does nothing such as a light not lighting.

Old 07-27-17, 12:12 AM
Group Moderator
It looks like a switch can be used to run the motor. There will no longer be a timer and there will not be any type of water level detection as that is/was part of the timer board.

I need to know what 4 wire colors you have at the switch panel.
It looks like red, black, green and white.

I see errors in the schematics. For testing the operation you'll need some one amp glass fuses. AGC1 or anything like that. I'll need you to use just a fuse for testing.

I'll be back.

Old 07-27-17, 01:17 AM
Group Moderator
Pete, I wonder if he could use a spring wound timer?

Old 07-27-17, 06:47 AM
Thanks ~ I'm trying to solve this problem while my husband is out of town & my knowledge of anything electronic or mechanical is minimal. I'm pretty handy if I can be directed though.
I assumed that my electrician was going to correct the problem, but he said it wasn't his job. So, I asked my plumber, of course he said not his job either. Seems all my trades like to say that phrase lately :/
My husband says to just tear it out and start over, but I think that it can be saved & save some money at the same time. My plumber estimates about $5000 to purchase & install new tub (including tile surround, sheetrock repair, etc.)
I have someone from a spa repair company coming today to look at it. He sounds super young ~ which doesn't mean that he isn't knowledgeable, but most younger people are dumbfounded when they see the control panel on the wall ~ He is charging me a $150 just to look and try to diagnose the problem & to tell me if it can be repaired. When I told him that it was old & parts are discontinued, he said he would have to look at it first. Which is understandable, I just wanted to see if there are options if he tells me he can't repair it.

Old 07-27-17, 06:59 AM
I am heading to the house shortly and will double check, but I am pretty sure it is green, red, black & white wires. There are slots for 5 wires/prongs to connect into the panel, but the 2nd slot is empty (it actually has a block in it, so it has always been empty).

Old 07-27-17, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
That is a very basic system. There is a low voltage controlled switching unit in the pump control box.

If you'd like to try something that can't hurt the system..... get the 1A fuses I mentioned. Touch the red wire to one end and the black wire to the other end.

That is low voltage so no danger of shock.

Either the fuse will blow out or the pump will run. Let me know what happens and I'll guide you from there.

You can use ANY 1A fuse. You can get them from a hardware store or auto parts store.

Old 08-09-18, 11:42 AM
same problem here ,

hi. I was reading the thread and I have a kohler super bath with a controler that no longer works at all
but if I plug in the low voltage it turns on ! if I jump red and black (low voltage) the pump runs for a little while and shuts off ,,, but if there is water in it then it continues to run after touching Blk and red ! what color pair shuts it off ? and. is there a replacement control available or should I just make my own ? thank you. Tony

Last edited by PJmax; 08-09-18 at 11:48 AM. Reason: removed phone number
Old 08-09-18, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You don't want personal info posted on a busy site like this. You WILL get spammed.
I need to re-read the thread to see how it pertains to you. This may get moved to it's own thread.