Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hot tub - constantly replacing pump!

TX

01-24-18, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Hot tub - constantly replacing pump!

Good afternoon,

I live in a condo and our community hot tub we are replacing the pump 2-3 times per year. Anyone know some steps we can take to maximize life?

The pump is called an Intelliflo variable speed pump, I do not have a model number.

more from our HOA president:

Hi Chris. One key question is why do we keep having to replace the pump 2 or 3 times a year for $500 a pop. One tech from ASP suggested that if we replace it with a variable speed pump this will last longer. Since their quote for this is $1800, the question is how much longer. One boardmember suggested that the seals on the pump may be the issue and I'm looking into that too. If you have any contacts and want to bring these questions to them, please do. We would certainly be open to other expert opinions and quotes. I'm also interested to know whether the heat in the hot tub can be reduced much of the time then be raised with a timer so that someone would need to set the timer 30 minutes before to get it ready, and the lower temperature would save heating costs and lower wear and tear on the equipment.
any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

01-24-18, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)  
So, is the current pump (the one dying every 3-4 months) a variable speed or are your considering switching to a variable speed?

One possibility to consider is that the pump/motor is over sized or the piping leading to the pump has a restriction or is under sized. Most pumps need free, unrestricted flow to their infeed/inlet side or it can shorten their life. Most can tolerate resistance or a restriction on their output side.

Group Moderator

NJ

01-24-18, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)  
You never mentioned.... what is going bad on the old pumps ?
Motor or pump issue ?

~ Pete ~

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

02-13-18, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Before replacing your pump motor, it’s important to know what motor will work best with your pool. Taking the time to find the right pump motor will extend the life of your pool pump, saving you time and money. Pool pump motors are classified as open drip proof, which means they’re open motors for which ventilation openings are designed so that water cannot enter either directly or by striking and then running into the motor.

Search this Thread