Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Caldera Niagara not heating, both Power and Ready lights blinking

Old 04-11-18, 08:24 PM

This tub is a 2014, has been working great for the past year since we bought it; new filter, both main pumps work fine. The heater is a 110v bypass style and recently stopped heating, with both the Ready and Power lights blinking. The water is cold, temp on the display reads 56 deg F, which seems reasonable. Troubleshooting tips in manual lead me to believe that it's either the temp sensor or the pressure sensor. Since the temp is reading accurate on the display, it could be the pressure sensor. GFCI breakers aren't tripping, I've power-cycled both the breakers for this tub several times, leaving the power off for a few mins each time. There's no reset button to push on these, just the power cycle does the reset.

My question is on these bypass heater "trombone" style with the bypass circulation pump, is the intelligence in the spa pack smart enough to not engage the bypass circ pump if it sees the pressure sensor sensing pressure (clearly abnormal since circ pump is not running) and therefore isn't even attempting to start the circ pump? Or.. is the pressure sensor fine and actually reading zero pressure since the circ pump is bad? I need to open it up and check stuff with a multimeter to see what has power and what doesn't I guess, but wanting to see if anyone knows whether or not these bypass circ pumps should just be running all the time, or if they're controlled based on the reading off the pressure sensor?

The spa pack in it is the Watkins Advent, used very commonly in Caldera and HotSprings and other brands from 2002 to present.

Also.. anyone hooked any type of external automation to these boards? Arduino, etc? Would be cool to remote-enable the spa controls and/or hook them up to Apple HomeKit via HomeBridge on my RPi.

Thank you for any advice you may have!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-18, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Is that a Caldera Utopia Niagara ?
Did you know.....Watkins warrants the electrical components, pump(s), and other Utopia Series spa components against defects in materials and workmanship for five years.

Is that an Invensys board ?
Post the Watkins part number.

Old 04-12-18, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Doesn't that spa have a dedicated filtration/circulation pump that runs continuously? I assume that's what you are calling the bypass pump.

Old 04-12-18, 05:19 AM
Yes, that's the model. I wasn't aware of the warranty, will call Watkins today to see. Doubtful, I'm not the original owner, but thanks for the info! I'll open it up here in a few days, maybe this weekend, and get all the part #'s and start probing w/multimeter.

Old 04-12-18, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Doesn't that spa have a dedicated filtration/circulation pump that runs continuously? I assume that's what you are calling the bypass pump.
Yes, I beleive it's always un continuously, but what I don't know is whether or not the board powers that pump based on what it sees as feedback from the pressure sensor, or if it truly does have power all the time and only power to the heater is controlled by the pressure sensor?

Old 04-12-18, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
As far as I know.... the pressure switch is only there as a safety to keep the heating element from coming on with low/no water flow.