Hot Springs Soveren - No Power

Old 05-05-18, 02:37 PM
Hot Springs sovereign - No Power

Hi all, my hot spring spa has no power. I've reset the GFCI, which was NOT triped, no power, lights, activity at all. Can someone walk me through troubleshooting steps to isolate and repair parts? Here's a photo of my control board. What else would you need to see?

Attached Images  

Last edited by rickai; 05-05-18 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-18, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have a multi meter or voltage tester?

Have you confirmed that the outlet it hot?

It would help if you can tell us what year Sovereign you have. They've been making it for a really long time and over the years the controls can vary quite a bit.

Old 05-05-18, 05:49 PM
Hi, yes I have a volt meter. Yes, the outlet has the correct voltage. I believe this is a 1999 model. I really appreciate the help!

Old 05-06-18, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Does the spa have power when the cabinet door is closed? The spa has a magnetic switch on the cabinet door. When the door is opened it cuts power to everything so it is normal for there to be no power when the door is open.

If that's not the problem then you'll need to defeat the door switch. I usually remove the magnet from the door and set it on top of the sensor side of the switch. You should hear a click as the main relay click on. Be careful as the control panel and other parts are now energized. Use your meter to check for power where the power cord enters the control box. Then follow it's path through the box to see where it stops.

Old 05-06-18, 05:47 AM
Thanks Pilot Dane. My door does not have the magnetic safety switch, so that part is easy. I verified voltage where the power comes in, and checked all the connections I could see on the board. The only one that did not register power was the JET 1 connection. I believe this is probably the original motor for this machine, so would make sense for it to be dead. What I don't understand is why my control panels are not lighting up. What's next in the troubleshooting? Thanks so much!

Old 05-06-18, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Do you have power going to the board? Is the power going to the spa the cord on the far left or the smaller second from the left?

Old 05-06-18, 06:58 AM
Yes, and I can pick up power other places on the board. The only place I couldn't get power is Jet 1 connections.

Old 05-06-18, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear, please confirm:

Which one is the input power? A or B?

You have 120 or 240 volts between the black and white wires coming into the spa on the power cord. Do not measure to ground (green)

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-18, 10:02 AM
B is where my power cord comes in. When I measure vac on black & white, I get nothing. When I measure black or white with the green, I get 120 volts. Well 119...Am I doing something wrong?

Old 05-06-18, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Please remove that metal shield over the wiring.
Repost a picture of just the board... full screen.... not the input power wiring.

It looks like the board has gotten wet (blue) and has a burned area (red).

Name:  spaboard.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 05-06-18, 12:34 PM
I donít see burn- those are jumpers. The water marks I think are just text. Here is the photo no cover. Thank you all for the assistance!

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-18, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
I just need the square PC board....as large as possible.

Old 05-06-18, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
B is where my power cord comes in. When I measure vac on black & white, I get nothing. When I measure black or white with the green, I get 120 volts. Well 119...Am I doing something wrong
Not doing something wrong, just not reading the voltages correctly. If you are getting nothing between the black and white wires that is your issue. You should be getting 120 or 240 volts between them. The reason you are getting 120 volts to ground on both wires is because it is likely feeding something like a heater element or relay.

You need to work your way back to the panel and find where you lost your other leg or neutral. Go to the spa disconnect and check you have voltage between the black and white there. If not, keep heading back to the house panel where the circuit originates.

Just curious, is this a 120 or 240 volt spa? Is it a single pole breaker or a two pole? Is this a new spa or has it been working until now?

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-06-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 12:24 PM
I wanted to circle back to let everyone know the problem. When I didn't get power between the black and white at the control box, re-checked the outlet. It was fine. I determined it was the GFCI plug. Replaced it yesterday and the hottub fired right up. Thank you all for helping solve this!

Old 05-08-18, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Great news. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.