Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Heater won't ignite after swapping heat exchanger

Old 09-22-18, 11:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Hayward H250 with electronic ignition. My heat exchanger started leaking so I installed a new one. I shut off the propane valve (outside of the heater) and unplugged the power before starting the installation and plugged the power back in and turned the fuel back on afterward. The installation was really straightforward and everything seemed to go fine. The leaks are gone and the temperature and pressure switch both seem to be working fine.

Unfortunately, when I tried to fire the heater up, it wouldn't ignite. The fan comes on and I can hear it clicking, but the burners won't ignite. After a number of tries, the panel shows "IF" (insufficient fuel). If I put my nose near the exhaust vents on the top, I can faintly smell propane when the unit is trying to light. I know I have plenty of propane.

Does anyone have any idea what I should look for? I honestly have no idea what to look for. The installation of the heat exchanger was so straightforward I don't know what I could have done, but it would be an awfully big coincident if it isn't related (the heater fired up fine yesterday before I swapped the exchanger).

I would really appreciate any help!!

Old 09-22-18, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
I don't remember if that unit will try to light (spark) if a safety sensor is open. The first thing to check is for 24Vac at the two wires (white and orange) on the gas valve when it should be lighting. The actual schematic is on page 16 of the manual below.

Hayward H-250 manual

Old 09-27-18, 07:32 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks; I'll take a look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: