Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Nordic Spa - HL error, Pump doesn't start when heater does

Old 11-07-18, 09:35 AM

I have a Nordic Crown II hot tub.
Not long ago, it started giving an HL error.
Here's what I've figured out so far:
  • Cycling power to the hot tub will clear the error.
  • When I turn the power back on, I can hear the heater running, but the pump does not kick on (unless the water is below 96 degrees.)
  • If I quickly start the pump by pressing the pump button on the control panel, I can then adjust the temp and the heat and pump will run until spa reaches set temp.
  • If I don't quickly start the pump after cycling power, it never starts, the heater overheats and the HL error is back.
  • If I manually start the pump after cycling power, the spa will heat to the set temp. But once it reaches set temperature and the pump and heater shut off, the same thing happens when it's time to heat again - the heater starts but not the pumps, resulting in an HL error.
I have checked the filter and flow seems to be normal when pumps are running.

Is this a symptom of a faulty HL sensor? Everything I can find points to that, but my logic tells me it's probably another sensor or relay not telling the pump to start when the heater does.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-18, 05:28 PM
Additional observation:
After cycling power, the default temperature setting is 96 degrees. Even if the water temp is above 96, the heater powers on and the pump does not, thereby triggering an HL condition. You can hear the heater running, making the water boil or steam or something.
If the water has dropped below 96, the pump automatically kicks on after a power cycle, so the heater does not overheat.