Can water bypass my filter???

Old 12-30-18, 12:04 PM
Can water bypass my filter???

I have been battling cream coloured flakes in my hot tub for a long time and cannot solve the problem. I don't understand why my filter won't catch them and remove from the water column. If I'm slack on chemistry or bang on it doesn't seem to matter. I've drained and refilled. I used pipe cleaning products, I've cleaned and replaced the filter. No major change. Is it possible the water isn't actually flowing through my filter and bypassing it somehow? Through my main access panel I see 4 gate valves, all open. 2 pump system. I can put a piece of sheet floss over the overflow and it will collect the floaties, that is as good as I've figured. The purchase store is out of business and the replacement store can't figure it out. I am desperate! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The tub is a NorthWinds by Coast Spas, model Z ENZ 50.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-18, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Have you contacted Coast Spas? Did they have any idea what might be the problem?

I think the first step is to find out what the flecks are and get that problem resolved. Then examine your filtration system. Closely examine the cartridge(s). Gently flip through the pleats looking for cuts or tears. They may not be readily visible when just looking at the filter but under water pressure an opening can emerge letting the bulk of water pass without being filtered. When the cartridges are installed do they move easy? If so you might be missing a a washer to more securely form a seal.

Old 12-30-18, 03:13 PM
You have confirmed a situation that I have been experiencing for several years.

When we had our Master Spa Swim Spa we did not experiance so much but when I replaced with Master Spa LX900 I kept getting lots of small, rice sized, or bigger, white flakes.

Many posts (to spa forum) but nobody really could identity.

What I finally figured out was, and I'll bet you have well water also, is that the hard water that fills the tub simply coats the insides of the plumbing with calcium and when you use the less used jets is when they come out.

I really notice them when I do a water change but I just cycle through all the pumps/jets to keep them purged out so the filter cleans them out!

No real water issue, just an annoyance!

Old 12-31-18, 09:22 AM
Marq1, thank you for your reply. I am not on well water and I don't think it is overly hard water, pH is around 7. No major build up around toilet bowls etc like growing up on the farm! So if it is scale build up then the scale preventer that can be used weekly or whatever should help?

And I can't figure out why the filter isn't clearing them out?

Old 12-31-18, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
You need to first determine what the flakes are. If they are mineral deposits forming in the spa then you need to address your water chemistry. pH is only one variable you need to test. Don't just start dumping in scale preventer without knowing your water chemistry to know if it will even help. If these deposits are forming in your spa your filter might be working but your constantly making new flakes. Also, have you inspected your filters and filter installation?

Old 12-31-18, 04:02 PM
In my case the water chemistry is perfect but still getting some residue, as noted it's greatest right after a water change, and diminishes with time so as water chemistry stabilizes the flakes diminish.

If your spa is like mine the filters are part of the resirc pump so the other 3 pumps sit idle until turned on so any buildup that occurred then gets ejected.

As noted, it;s an annoyance, nothing to worry about!

Old 01-01-19, 03:13 AM
Pilot Dane,

I have not heard back from Coast Spas. I have also bought a brand new filter last winter to see if it made a difference and it didn't so I"m thinking not a faulty filter. Not sure how to test how tight the filter is though. It just sits in its position and then the lid gets put on. I do know there is a plastic ring that sits between the part that slides into the top of the filter and the filter itself.

Old 01-01-19, 03:17 AM
Pilot Dane,

Suggestions how to determine what the flakes are as that of course makes perfect sense to identify the flakes? I just took in a jar of water to be tested to my local shop that had a few flakes in it and she just tested the water to tell me what to add to get the right chemistry. Nothing more. I have inspected the filter in the past and it is never clogged to the extend I expect it to be? I rinse them off with the garden hose with my thumb over the end to increase the pressure, trying to have a methodical plan to go up and down the pleats and making sure I rinse the whole filter.

Old 01-01-19, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
When you clean your filter is it full of the little flecks?

Old 01-01-19, 11:52 AM
Pilot Dane,
From memory going back to last winter (I've just fresh filled) some seem to get caught but very little. Cleaning the filter and putting it back in I expect to filter out all of the flecks and it doesn't happen. That's why I was thinking the water was bypassing the filter.

I plan on pulling the filter out later today now that it has been running for 3 days. The water is full of flakes.

I have 2 pumps....how much of the water from those pumps actually goes through the filter? What is the turnover typically?

This year I was told to put in the filter, put on the top with the bleeder valve open and turn on the pump. Then once water squirts out close off the bleeder. I was never told this before so I thought maybe previous I had created an air lock or something but it still didn't work this time.

Old 01-01-19, 02:52 PM
Its the water chemistry, this is from your owners manual, lower the ph and TA and the flakes will go away!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1546379531

Attached Images