Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Sundance tripping breaker - pump suspect?

Old 01-26-19, 04:19 PM

I have a Sundance Hawthorne that is tripping the breaker as soon as the pumps turn on. During diagnosis, I discovered when pump 1 is disconnected, it does not trip. Disconnecting pump 2 has no effect. Also, when the pressure switch is disconnected, both pumps run, but provides FL1 error. I replaced the pressure switch with a new one, and the trip still occurs. Disconnecting the heater element does not affect the breaker trip. I just replaced that pump last year, so I'd hate to think it's the pump again.

During diagnosis, I have also (none of which helped):

- Performed the "air lock clear" procedure with a water hose.

- Checked electrical connections throughout for corrosion or obvious shorts/loose wiring.

- Checked breaker box for moisture.

- Disconnected the temperature sensor on heater assembly.

- Disconnected the spa light.

- Disconnected the ozonator.

Any help would be appreciated. I've had issues with the tub in the past here and there but have always managed to identify the culprit. Really frustrating.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-19, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Is this a GFCI breaker or a normal breaker? IF it is GFCI breaker you need to determine if it is tripping on overload or ground fault. (I suspect it is a ground fault)

Old 01-26-19, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
And in order to determine if the motor itself is at fault.... you need to disconnect the wires from power and check from each wire to ground. There should be no continuity measured.

Old 01-27-19, 10:22 AM
It is a GFCI breaker. 240V/60A.

Old 01-27-19, 11:42 AM
Suspect the pump and/or wiring. Verify it is not bad or drawing too much current when it starts. I had a very small leak from the heater that was wetting wires barely on humid days causing the breaker to trip. Also had a tired breaker and it tripped too easily. Replaced with new one exactly the same part, all was good.
Contact Sundance, they helped me debug.

Old 01-27-19, 12:18 PM
No continuity from hot to ground or neutral to ground, PJMax.

Old 01-27-19, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
When you touch the two meter probes with your fingers.... does the meter show any reading ?
Some meter have ohms scale settings.

Old 01-27-19, 12:44 PM
Not with fingers, but probe-probe reacts properly. Ran both wires at audible and multiple Ohm settings. No tone and doesn't budge from 1. Definitely reacting appropriately to other complete circuits, however.

Old 01-27-19, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
The audible ohms setting is too low. Is there a setting for like Rx100 or Rx1000 ?
You need the meter to be able to read high resistance.

Old 01-27-19, 01:06 PM
Didn't test it that high originally, but even at 20M it isn't budging.

Old 01-27-19, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... good..... perfect. You've determined that the motor is not leaky at this point. That only leaves the motor drawing too much current.

Old 02-08-19, 11:13 AM
OK, couple of weeks since I've been able to do anything on this hot tub. I bit the bullet finally and removed the water. Pulled the pump today and the wet end is rotating freely, so it doesn't appear to be locked up. Any thoughts on other reasons for this GFI breaker upon this pump starting should I check now that I have the thing out?

Old 02-08-19, 03:34 PM
After completely removing the water and disconnecting the water lines, the pump in question runs without kicking the breaker (I ran it for a few seconds, beyond where it typically kicked). I brought the water level up above the intakes and briefly ran it again - still seems fine. Filling further now, and I'll post the results after a decent duration wet run. Only thing that's changed is a couple of weeks have passed.

Old 02-08-19, 04:25 PM
...and it trips the breaker when it is full again. FFS.

Old 02-08-19, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
I've lost my train of thought here.....
Are we sure it's that pump that is tripping the breaker ?
The problem happening when full points more towards a leaky heater element.

Old 02-09-19, 09:24 AM
Not at all. In fact, I'm reasonably sure now the pump is OK after dry testing it. Replaced the entire heater assembly less than a year ago (out of warranty now, of course), and the pressure switch during the current exercise. Haven't pulled the heater assembly, but when I disconnected the pressure switch it stopped tripping (which is why I replaced the switch, but it still doesn't trip when the new switch is disconnected), and when I disconnected the heater element, it tripped. There are no signs of water around the heater element, or any apparent rust at the terminals.

Old 02-10-19, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Again, you need to find out if it is tripping on overload. Get one of these and measure current: https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-96308.html (or similar)

Old 02-16-19, 02:46 PM
Yea, I got a multimeter. It's reading about 120 per hot wire and about 240 together. Finally got some help switching the GFCI and was actually able to see inside the guts when it tripped. There was a spark right around the heater assembly (behind the spa pack) when the breaker goes that I couldn't see before when I was throwing the breaker myself. Can't find anyplace where anything appears to be grounding out, and it is bone dry. Has to be grounding out somewhere though. Looks like I'll need to pull the heater to figure it out. Sorry about the intermittent replies, I can only work on the thing weekends.