Spa power: please help clarify

Old 03-20-19, 06:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spa power: please help clarify

So I will be buying a 110v/15amp spa from wayfair. However, I noticed that has a “Power cord with a built in GFCI”. Will the spa still work if it is plugged into an GFCI receptacle? It would have double GFCI. It is required to have all outside receptacles GFCI from what I’ve read and that is my only outlet I could run it too. Any help would be appreciated. Here is the link to the exact hot tub.

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...b-lsx1167.html

Old 03-20-19, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I've never tried it but it should work fine. In the event of a ground fault either one could trip.
The GFI plug should not cause the GFI receptacle to trip.

This would be the same thing as plugging a blow dryer with a GFI plug into a GFI receptacle.

Old 03-20-19, 07:28 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your response and thanks for the welcome! I did plug a 2000 watt blow dryer into this outlet on full blast and nothing tripped. Also on the breaker it’s labeled as 15 amp dedicated breaker. How is that possible since a 2000 watt blow dryer is rated at 16 amps? Could it be labeled wrong? I don’t know much about any of this so please feel free to chime in any ideas. Thanks!

Old 03-20-19, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Breakers are thermal/magnetic.
A breaker will trip instantly on a short. That's the magnetic part.
It can take a load slightly over the rating but only for a short while. That's the thermal part. So while you are at or slightly over the rated amperage the breaker heats up and when it gets to a certain temperature it will trip. You could run 15-16 amps for 15minutes....maybe a half hour before tripping. Every breaker is different.

Old 03-24-19, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd recommend you rethink your decision to by a hot tub from an online retailer. You will likely get ZERO support for it.

If you must, there are cheaper places to get that spa online. Lifesmart was originally a Home Depot product and is still sold there by special order for $2999.

As for the electrical, you can plug a gfci into a gfci. The issue you might have is many of the cord end GFCI's will NOT fit in the required covered housing of an outdoor outlet.

Last edited by Pendragon; 03-24-19 at 07:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: