Leaking (badly) 2006 Jacuzzi j460

Old 05-12-19, 06:15 PM
Leaking (badly) 2006 Jacuzzi j460

Hi all,

Very new to the hot tub scene and have the above tub. Just starting to get it set up. Allegedly it worked but hadn't been used in 3 years. I don't think that's accurate add I just started to fill it to see if it leaks and it has a significant leak.

I know that it will drain down to the leak level and I actually saw debris flowing into the jet. Pulling the skirting and have drilling water coming out of the conduit that the led wiring flows to the same jet.

Feeling around under the spray foam is water saturated in the same area. I've identified the jet from the scheschematic

Lighted ix max aspiration jet.

Looking around the same area I noted that one of the intake screens is cracked on one side and that the waterfall filtration return appears to be pushed outur from behind.

Any one have any thoughts, suggestions or ideas about what had happened to this tub as I have no idea about tubs and an just starting to learn.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-19, 12:22 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums..... and yes I 8 1 2.

It sounds like the water was allowed to freeze in that spa.
Is that a possibility....... was it outside in a cold zone ?

Old 05-13-19, 01:23 AM
Group Moderator
Meh, more of a 5150 man myself but I do agree this sounds like freeze damage.

Old 05-13-19, 02:40 AM
Group Moderator
Freezing is a very common problem with outdoor spas. Even when drained many spas can still have pockets of water trapped in low spots.

Old 05-13-19, 04:46 AM
Yes this is in the great white north of Canada. Is freeze damage typically confined to the lower regions?

Worth fixing?

Old 05-13-19, 06:59 AM
Group Moderator
Freezing damage can occur anywhere water is present. Since water flows downhill that is where the problem usually occurs. Draining most spas effectively is surprisingly difficult. There is a lot of piping, equipment and fittings and most spas aren't great about having everything located and sloped so the water flows to the drain. Quite often water is left in pumps, jet pockets and low spots in piping.

Worth fixing depends totally on you. The key will be to give it a thorough inspection to make sure you've found all the leaks and problems. But if this spa were given to you it was likely given for a reason.

Old 05-13-19, 07:28 AM
It's there any way to do that surgically other than one at a time? I assume find a leak and fix then refill and see if level holds and then repeat.

Old 05-13-19, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
The problem with working on a spa is a lot of the piping is inside the foam. If you had a way to block of the jets you could connect a garden hose to the piping and check for a leak that way. Repairs of this type can be quite involved. It would be hard for us to guide you as the plumbing is different in every spa.

Old 05-13-19, 03:03 PM
Fair enough. I just wonder if multiple failures occur together or if it's usually limited to one or two spots. Local shop said that the assembly I think I've identified is "the weakest" part in the j400 line

Old 05-13-19, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
A weak link would be where the fitting wasn't properly glued on and the freezing pushed it off. It's typically the fittings that will crack or come loose before the line breaks.

Old 05-14-19, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's also worth checking the expensive parts like the pump(s) and heater for leaks before getting too far in to the repair. This will at least give you an idea of the repair cost before sinking a ton of hours into scraping out foam and tracing plumbing. If the pump wasn't fully drained I would expect that to be ruined.

Old 05-14-19, 07:43 PM
Fair enough, how does one go about checking the pumps? I haven't hooked up power yet as I'm working on that the tub holds water first.

Old 05-19-19, 04:04 PM
So I tore into a pretty good and found multiple problems including the following:

​​​​​​Ix max aspiration jet cracked as is all the couplings etc.

2.5 inch line split in 2 different spots.

Manifold cracked completely open.

So I'd say on what I've seen that this tub was frozen or improperly drained and frozen. Is there only one manifold location looks like 2 are glued together. One had 6 barbs and the other 4.

Any other things I should look for now. Everything that broke is at lowest point on tub.

I have photos but not sure how to share them.

Old 05-19-19, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
There are instructions for posting photos as a sticky at the top of each forum section. I don't think it will help very much. I think we have a good idea of what you have going on. You're the only one that can determine if fixing is worth it. Where you are located will also enter into the decision since you've removed a good deal of the insulation.

Old 05-20-19, 04:38 AM
Thanks. Can it not be replaced? I thought either the cans of spray foam and possibly adding batts to the sides.

Someone also told me you could use rockwool?

Old 05-20-19, 05:17 AM
You cant use house insulation and the spray can foam is open cell so it will become saturated.

When I repaired my spa I picked up a froth kit to replace foam.

Old 05-20-19, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
If you do decide to repair the spa I would buy a kit of 2 part spray foam. The foam comes in two aerosol can. You spray it in place and it expands and hardens. Everything else like just doesn't work well. Single can foam doesn't expand and insulate properly when used in large areas and rock wool and fiberglass are a perfect home for critters and can become water logged.