Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Super frustrated with my Hot Tub! Help!!!

Old 05-21-19, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have been working on this problem for 3 weeks.

Hot Tub is a 2001 Down East (Master Spa) Hot Tub – Single 2 speed pump. Balboa electronics. 240v system

3 weeks ago I opened the cover and the temp was in the 70’s. Thought might be the heater but realized pump was not working. Topside control works. Light works. voltage to the tub confirmed. Pump was a Sta Rite pump and I removed it and took it to a local shop to be diagnosed. Was told the start and run capacitor needed replacement. Had that done and reinstalled.

Same behavior. Topside works, light works, voltage confirmed. Pump does not start.

Talked to a spa service individual who thought the main board was bad. I decided to replace the Spa Pack with a new Balboa VS500 configured at Spa Depot to 240v. Received and installed new electronics.

Same behavior. Topside works, light works, voltage confirmed. Pump does not start.

Became convinced that the 20 year old pump was the problem so ordered a replacement pump from Spa Depot. New pump is a Hydromaster 240v. Spa Depot recommended pump based on specifications of the old pump. Installed the new pump.

I am baffled. ALL the electronics are new. The pump is new. Only thing that is existing is the tub and pipes.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-19, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Suggestions..... yes..... get a meter and make voltage checks. Check for 240v actually to the pump.

Old 05-21-19, 05:13 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
The control board activates a relay in the box, would agree something in there is not putting voltage to the pump!

Old 05-21-19, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I spent a few more hours checking all of the voltages to the spa. I traced the problem back to the 50v GFCI Breaker which was not providing the full 240v. Once I reset the breaker (toggle off and on a few times) I was able to get full 240v to the pump and it started up.

So, I probably did not need to replace the capacitors, or the spa pack or buy a new pump but now I have all new stuff!

New 50v GFCI is on the way.