Entering the pool game. Advice?

Old 06-14-19, 09:13 AM
Entering the pool game. Advice?

Hey Everyone,

So I am completely new to the pool game and I purchased This Pool and read to upgrade to This Filter. No idea how both of them work but I am assuming it will all be explained in the manual when it comes to the sand and salt.

From people with experience, what should I be aware of before starting this operation? Any tips for the salt and sand, like when to add more or what to keep an eye on or what not?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-19, 04:34 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
I would suggest you ask a neighbor who has a pool already to show you, or go to a dealer and ask for some guidance. The instruction manual should walk you through it.

Last edited by XSleeper; 06-26-19 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
I would check out the Q&A's on Amazon, under that filter. Seems a lot of your questions have been answered by people that are familiar with that filter.

Old 06-26-19, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
It's not really a game. It's more like a money pit.
Chemicals can be pretty expensive. When you get the pool filled...... take a sample of your water directly to a pool store. Have them analyze it for content. Based on your location (ie:sun) you'll need chlorine and algaecide in pretty quickly. They should be able to advise you what to add. Don't let them sell you the store.

You will need a dedicated circuit/receptacle for your new filter pump.
It would be beneficial to have some type of pad to put the filter on. Poured cement or pavers will work.

Old 06-27-19, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
You didn't complete your profile so I don't know where you are located. Long ago I had an above ground pool similar to yours. Here in NC by mid-summer the water was so warm it defeated the purpose of having a pool. I ended up building a shade structure to keep the pool out of the sun which helped considerably. I would take down the shade in the spring and fall when the warmth was welcome.

Old 06-27-19, 11:19 AM
Upvotes Received: 2
The best residential pool resource on the web is the Trouble-Free Pool site. Read their Pool School articles and you will get up to speed faster than by asking neighbors and pool store clerks.

Get your own top-quality water test kit; there are only 2 recommended: the Taylor K-6000C and the TF-100. No other kit is good enough for the tests you will need to run. Never rely on test strips or on pool store testing.

Prepare to handle chemicals yourself. Once-weekly pool boys do not come by often enough to keep your water balanced, especially in the hot sunny summer.

Last edited by RocketJSquirrel; 06-27-19 at 11:38 AM.