Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Epoxy putty and PVC to repair slight leak at joint

Old 06-24-19, 11:42 AM

Hoping somebody can share some insight. I have a slight leak at one of my PVC joints located outside of my above ground pool. I figure I'm going to have to rip out part of the section and permanently repair the issue in the fall, but in the meantime I am trying to use a temporary fix for the summer using A+B epoxy putty which is said to be good for pool fixes both in and out of water. On 3 occasions, I have applied the putty to the leak and within 12-24 hours it has cured well and the leak has stopped only to start leaking again within a day after curing. The product states it is immune to low pressures within the tolerance of the pool pump (about 20-30psi) when it's running. This last time, I've let it cure without running the pump after it's fully cured (to see if the pump vibrating may have caused it and after 18 hours, the leak has started again after seemingly stopping it for hours prior. So if anybody can offer insight into what I could be doing wrong, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-19, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
I never use any external sealing product unless there is absolutely no way to replace the fitting.
Rarely does a product work on the outside of a fitting under pressure.

The plumbing should be easy to cut PVC.

Old 06-24-19, 03:24 PM
Try using Rescue Tape. I know of several people who have made "temporary repairs" and never got around to permanently fix the leak and have had no problems. It may just be what you need for the season.

Old 06-24-19, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know what product you are using but I have not had good results using epoxy putties. If I were in the mood for a gooder fix I would fiberglass the crack with epoxy resin and glass cloth. I have used the rubber emergency tape with good results if you want to go that route.

Old 06-24-19, 05:29 PM
Ive never had a situation to try this but found a video that showed a repair to a PVC joint on a spa where they attached a vacuum to one end of the pipe, sealed all the jets such that the only air entering the pipe was at the leak!

Applied a little cleaner and some glue, it sucked it in and supposedly was glued tight!!

I also agree, anything on the surface is short lived!