Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Installing new main suctions drains in existing concrete pool

Old 08-28-19, 08:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am about to replace the single main drain in my concrete pool built in 1965. I will be installing two new drains. I'm looking for advice on the size of the cuts in the concrete to allow sufficient space for the new concrete. The drains are approximately 8" in diameter and I will be using 1.5" pipe. I want to make sure that the new concrete is structurally sound when the job is complete. Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-19, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
This is not something I would do. Cutting the concrete shell on a pool is just asking for trouble once the water is replaced.
As an alternative I would dig down on the side of the pool and put your new drain in there. This will be ugly and not at all any fun.
Talking to a local plastering contractor will help you a lot.
I replaster my pool long ago and added a suction line for the cleaner into the pool and a self filler. Both came in from the side and the plastering contractor had some ideas that made it easier for both of us.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-28-19, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 241 Posts
I would never consider cutting the pool.
It would be very hard to match concretes for repair and to ensure no leaks.

What happened..... did a line break going to the main drain ?
Have you had any pool contractors in to give you estimates ?

I have an approx 45 year Sylvan concrete pool. I paint it every few years.
Has not been re-plastered although I've done some major coping and tiling repairs.

Old 08-29-19, 05:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The main drain is of metal construction and deteriorating. It may be partially clogged/collapsed at this point. The drain cannot be retrofit with a safety cover and the law says I need two now. This won't really come into play unless I sell the house, but if I am going to replace the drain, then now's the time to add the second. The pool is poured concrete, not gunite or plaster and painted with chlorinated rubber paint. I am not concerned with matching finishes as the walls have been repaired many times. In my searching online, I found a pool site that recommended using hydraulic cement to fill in the openings. Unfortunately for me I didn't save the address. I cannot dig along the walls as I have a cement deck surrounding the pool and don't have the money to replace the deck or rent a mini-backhoe to dig to the depth necessary. I'll give this more thought, but at this point I am really more concerned with allowing enough room around the pipe and the drains to get a solid block when it's patched. Maybe this might be better asked in the masonry forum.