"Free" Hot tub--Need new pump wet end

Old 10-08-19, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Free" Hot tub--Need new pump wet end

So got a "free (ha ha)" LA Spas Quest hot tub. Was told that it worked a few months prior. Since I got it has sat for a few months before I finally was able to get some power to it. It powered up, air blower worked, LCDs worked. One pump worked, the other buzzed and I got a "FLO" error on the LCD. That's the circulating pump apparently. Shut it down pretty quickly, hoping I didn't damage the motor. Pulled it, and it was frozen. Disassembled and the bearings seem OK. The impeller was stuck solid, and needed creative destruction to remove. So now I need a new wet end.

The pump is a Waterway Super-Flo, model S101216. It's obsolete, and recommendations were for a 48Y frame from Executive series. The problem is that I don't know the HP rating of the motor. It's a Magnetek, part # 8-186300-40. The sticker says 4.5 HP, but when I google it it cross references AO Smith BN62, which is 3 HP. So what do I need?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-19, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 421 Votes on 394 Posts
Hard to believe you'd need a 4.5hp pump but apparently it's to maintain the ability to supply high pressure. I was looking on the Waterway site and saw the replacement Executive series. I'd probably just use the 4.5hp model as that matches what they previously had in there. Just make sure the in and out sizes match.

Old 10-08-19, 07:46 PM
Well, that's the thing. Is this actually 4.5 hp? A couple of weird things:
--i found another site that listed this pump as "3hp, 4.5hp listed" or something like that
--i got a part number off the impeller, which lists it as a 4 hp impeller (310-4150)
--when you figure out the hp based on the above sticker, hp comes out to 3.7

Soooo...
Seems that it would be reasonable to use a 4hp wet end? Guessing the only real difference is the impeller size?

Old 10-09-19, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
If you do the math on the amperage rating I'd say the motor is actually closer to 3 hp. It might pull 4 1/2 hp worth of electricity right before it smokes but I doubt it runs normally at that power level. Either way I'd look for a similarly sized pump paying attention to make sure and get a 240 v two speed model. The exact horsepower shouldn't be critical to the operation of the spa.

Old 10-09-19, 05:45 AM
@pilot dane,
Is this not the math on a 1 phase motor (unless this isn't what I'm dealing with):
P = IV, P = 12*230 = 2760 watts / 746 = 3.7 HP?

Either way, I'm not replacing the whole motor, just the wet end. Why does the motor say 4.5 hp? How about the 4 hp impeller ?

Not worried about the spa operation so much as overloading the pump (impeller too big) or running too fast maybe (if too small, not sure if/how rpms are regulated in the pump). Either way, I'm probably overthinking this...

Old 10-09-19, 11:27 AM
Called/emailed Waterway. Here's the response:
"Thank you for the pictures of the pump.
The Super-Flo matches our current Executive series of pumps.
The best part number for a replacement pump that is: 2 intake, 2 discharge, 48-frame, 230V, 12.0 amps High, and 3.5 amps Low is:

3421821-1A"

Cool. Probably should have bench tested the motor before I went through all this trouble. I'll do that, and if all is well will order the (hopefully) correct part.

Old 10-09-19, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 421 Votes on 394 Posts
Yes.... you should have.

With an unknown.... I'd just change pump and motor.
The part number you posted is basically the 4.5hp executve pump and motor.

Old 10-09-19, 01:56 PM
Yeah, saw that after the fact. Wet end looks to be 310-1920.
I'll bench test it before I order.

Old 10-19-19, 04:39 PM
Ok, a little back and forth with waterway and ended up with a 4hp wet end. Bench tested, installed, and working! It's a bit bigger than the old I think and the fittings are leaking a bit I think because they don't fit without force (although I cracked one trying to get it on). Other issues are the main diverter valve is leaking, and multiple jets aren't working; not sure if the 2 are related. Also bulbs on the control panel are out . All in all though, nothing insurmountable so far. I'd love to find a plumbing diagram for this thing, but guessing that's wishful thinking